Random thoughts: Momtazi, Wilder, Huma, JuanGa, and Mr. Fuji

JimHow

Random thoughts: Momtazi, Wilder, Huma, JuanGa, and Mr. Fuji

Post by JimHow »

Sipping on a 2012 St. Innocent Momtazi, a wine I have come to enjoy, a Stefan mainstay.
Young and mouth puckering but oh so good.

My the afternoon has cooled off, it has that back to school feel.
I was in Soho this weekend, the NYU kids are all back in town.

It was a beautiful summer weather wise.
The fall-like turn today is coinciding with a failure of the Sox bullpen that bodes poorly for September and reminds of Boston collapses of decades past.

I see today's polls in the presidential race have narrowed even some more.
I still say we will be within the margin of error by Labor Day, a week from today.
How is she not winning by at least 30 points?
We live in interesting times indeed!
JimHow

Re: Random thoughts: Momtazi, Wilder, Huma, JuanGa, and Mr. Fuji

Post by JimHow »

The tomatoes never really ripened for the second year in a row, I got a few this week but they were mostly big and bloated and tasteless.
I had two smaller ones for lunch earlier today that were delicious but they were about the only two that came out perfectly.

Last year I got dozens of spectacular cucumbers but this year my plants were decimated early on by the deer from the woods out back.
I'll have to make better arrangements next summer.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

got the text message from my brother Tom today that Mr. Fuji has left us.
We saw him in Lewiston, oh, it must've been around 73-74, on an undercard with all the greats: His tag team partner Professor Tanaka. Gorilla Monsoon. Chief Jay Strongbow. Tony Garea. Andre the Giant. Haystacks Calhoun. And all of the others.

What men. When they were kings. Gods, really.

I tried to find the legendary Tanaka/Fuji - Morales/Samartino match on youtube, with the infamous salt-throwing incident, but I couldn't immediately locate it.

I did find this spirited match between the Japanese tag team and Garea/Zybyszco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msLD1JsKuEs
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mr. Fuji and Pedro Morales, 1972, in their prime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2f3-apKrV4
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Speaking of greats gone by, Gene Wilder cashed in his Golden Ticket today.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Gene Wilder. Man, they just do not come much better than that.
I still say Young Frankenstein is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Ec43f1xdU
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

No matter how much I scream… don't…unlock…this...door.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So yes, Chris, the 2010 Poujeaux at that Saratoga store seems like the way to go. I don't think I've ever dealt with that store. Everything else seems pricey, in a Warren Beatty/David Geffen kind of way. The $36 price for 2010 Poujeaux seems rational, though, can't find much harm in ordering a half dozen or so.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I spent one very memorable night in Saratoga….
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee….
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm a contradiction, of course. On the one hand, I'm an artiste. I'm a musician. I'm a lover. On the other hand, I'm a lawyer. I'm a grouch. I'm an angry old white man in America. I hang out in wealth and opulence in Soho and TriBeCa. I hang out in unspeakable poverty on Lisbon Street. I make music. I make prosecutors cry (literally). I write novels. I write the most boring of boring legal briefs. An artist creates something -- the universe, even -- from nothing. A lawyer, Socratically, breaks down and destroys and narrows something down to the most narrow principle. I will defend people who don't have $4 to their name in the morning, and I'll sit front row at the Met Opera later that night. I was raised in poverty, but I can drink $5,000 bottles of wine. I can hang out with presidents; I can sleep in subway stations in Boston with the homeless. I can be incredibly cruel. I can be incredibly kind. I defend people who do unbearable, inhumane things to other people. I see beauty in the hands of the 89 year old woman paying for her two oranges at the counter of the supermarket with the crumpled one dollar bills from her purse.

Despite all the beauty and ugliness in the world, despite all the wealth and poverty, the happiness and sadness, the health and sickness… There is one thing that binds people together. A rich person can love Elton John as much as a poor one. You can be a billionaire and love Chopin, you can be the most destitute starving street person and love Chopin. Music knows absolutely zero boundaries. You can live in the most crime ridden and hopeless of neighborhoods, but your iTunes can help you escape to another universe. As a self-centered ugly American, of course, my knowledge of JuanGa is extremely limited. I had some knowledge of him because, well, I'm a musician, artiste, lover, etc. I'm touched by the impact he had on his world. Music: The great equalizer!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ugh. I just read that Gene Wilder died "following a private, three year battle with Alzheimers Disease."

Please. BWEers. You are my friends. You are my subjects.
If I am ever afflicted with Alzheimers. Please. Come into my nursing home room and quickly suffocate me to death with my pillow.
Please. I mean, I'm not even joking about this.
Gene Wilder with Alzheimer's Disease at the "young" age of 80-83.
I can't even bring myself to think about that.
That incredibly witty man, reduced to… whatever.
So cruel.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I can't even bring myself to talk about Huma….
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:So yes, Chris, the 2010 Poujeaux at that Saratoga store seems like the way to go. I don't think I've ever dealt with that store. Everything else seems pricey, in a Warren Beatty/David Geffen kind of way. The $36 price for 2010 Poujeaux seems rational, though, can't find much harm in ordering a half dozen or so.
They have 09', '11, '12 Potensac at a good price. Not sure what the current feeling is for that chateau, but I bought a limited sampling to lay down.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Fortunately, it appears Wilder had caring family members near him in the end:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... 83-w436861
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I loved gene wilder. Combined with Mel brooks, comic genius. I still remember when I saw Blazing Saddles when I was like 8, and Gene was my favorite (along with Mongo naturally).
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:I can't even bring myself to talk about Huma….
At least she's leaving him this time. Sounds like he needs help.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Weiner is hopeless.
What a pig.
well, the Momtazi was outstanding. Just ordered another six bottles of that 2012.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

St. Innocent is my favorite Pinot noir producer, anywhere. But I think they really benefit with time. Last year, the 99 Shea was in a magical place. I periodically open half bottles of the 08 Momtazi and regret it.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

P.S. The best single Pinot noir I've ever had might have been that 2005 you opened in NYC in like 2008. Was it a Marquis d'Angerville Volnay?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah yes I still have quite a few of those d'Angervilles, the 1er Crus and Champans, from 2002, 2005, 2006, and 2007. We cleaned out the NH liquor stores, I was driving all over the Granite State to get those wines. They were like $35 at the time. Now you can't get them for under $100. They are really something, and they'll age for a long time.
AKR

Post by AKR »

JimHow wrote:I'm a contradiction, of course. On the one hand, I'm an artiste. I'm a musician. I'm a lover. On the other hand, I'm a lawyer. I'm a grouch. I'm an angry old white man in America. I hang out in wealth and opulence in Soho and TriBeCa. I hang out in unspeakable poverty on Lisbon Street. I make music. I make prosecutors cry (literally). I write novels. I write the most boring of boring legal briefs. An artist creates something -- the universe, even -- from nothing. A lawyer, Socratically, breaks down and destroys and narrows something down to the most narrow principle. I will defend people who don't have $4 to their name in the morning, and I'll sit front row at the Met Opera later that night. I was raised in poverty, but I can drink $5,000 bottles of wine. I can hang out with presidents; I can sleep in subway stations in Boston with the homeless. I can be incredibly cruel. I can be incredibly kind. I defend people who do unbearable, inhumane things to other people. I see beauty in the hands of the 89 year old woman paying for her two oranges at the counter of the supermarket with the crumpled one dollar bills from her purse.

Despite all the beauty and ugliness in the world, despite all the wealth and poverty, the happiness and sadness, the health and sickness… There is one thing that binds people together. A rich person can love Elton John as much as a poor one. You can be a billionaire and love Chopin, you can be the most destitute starving street person and love Chopin. Music knows absolutely zero boundaries. You can live in the most crime ridden and hopeless of neighborhoods, but your iTunes can help you escape to another universe. As a self-centered ugly American, of course, my knowledge of JuanGa is extremely limited. I had some knowledge of him because, well, I'm a musician, artiste, lover, etc. I'm touched by the impact he had on his world. Music: The great equalizer!
This would make an ok college application essay "Tell us about Yourself, Succinctly"
AKR

Post by AKR »

JimHow wrote:So yes, Chris, the 2010 Poujeaux at that Saratoga store seems like the way to go. I don't think I've ever dealt with that store. Everything else seems pricey, in a Warren Beatty/David Geffen kind of way. The $36 price for 2010 Poujeaux seems rational, though, can't find much harm in ordering a half dozen or so.
Of recent vintages, do you like Poujeaux or Chasse Spleen better in Moulis?

Although I like both, experience with anything young in those estates is lacking.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Blanquito wrote:St. Innocent is my favorite Pinot noir producer, anywhere. But I think they really benefit with time. Last year, the 99 Shea was in a magical place. I periodically open half bottles of the 08 Momtazi and regret it.
Well that answers my thought of whether I should open a 750 of 08 Momtazi soon.

I love St Innocent too. The Cyber Monday sale for those on the email list is great.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

Good going, Jim. We'll drink some SI in a couple of weeks.
jal

Post by jal »

I'm an ignorant immigrant. I don't know who JuanGa is and I never heard of Mr. Fuji. Had to look both up.
Gene Wilder in the Producers with Zero Mostel, in Blazing Saddles and the Frisco Kid - oh my! What a fantastic funny actor. A true heir to Marty Feldman and his zany comedy.
Huma and her stupid husband? What a self destructive asshole! And Patrick, the guy had help. He's beyond help. She may need help, sticking with Weiner that long has hurt her, her boss, and maybe even her child.
Best

Jacques
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

jal wrote:I'm an ignorant immigrant. I don't know who JuanGa is and I never heard of Mr. Fuji. Had to look both up.
I'm not an immigrant and I don't know who they are, lol.
However, I can guess based on the context.
I never watched wrestling, and my musical taste doesn't include modern vocalists in general.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Surely you guys have heard of Mr. Fuji's tag team partner, Professor Toru Tanaka?
I mean, you don't need to be a wrestling fan to know Chief Jay Strongbow, Gorilla Monsoon, Haystacks Calhoun, Andre the Giant. Bruno Samartino? Pedro Morales? These men were giants in their day.
jal

Post by jal »

Only one I heard of is Andre the giant and that's because of the princess bride.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

George "The Animal" Steele?
Surely you've seen "The Animal" chewing off belt buckles from the ring.

Ah, memories.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It sounds like Gene Wilder had a really devoted nephew and family with him in his final days.
He was quite a man.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebri ... li=BBnb7Kz
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:Surely you guys have heard of Mr. Fuji's tag team partner, Professor Toru Tanaka?
I mean, you don't need to be a wrestling fan to know Chief Jay Strongbow, Gorilla Monsoon, Haystacks Calhoun, Andre the Giant. Bruno Samartino? Pedro Morales?
Maybe Andre the Giant, none of the other names are familiar. When you group the names together its pretty obvious what they were famous for.
I always thought pro wrestling was stupid, not even entertaining, and the WWE is based in Connecticut where I've lived nearly my whole life.

Actually, my favorite wrestler was "Glamorous Godfrey" - Abe (Grandpa) Simpson's wrestling monicker. :D
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow, Chris, you are probably one of those few out there who believe that wrestling is fake.
I suppose you also believe we never landed men on the moon!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:Wow, Chris, you are probably one of those few out there who believe that wrestling is fake.
I suppose you also believe we never landed men on the moon!
I am a rare bird, and certainly tend to think outside the mainstream. :)
As far as wrestling goes, I know its staged, but not fake. A body slam hurts even when you know it's coming. :roll:
I'd rather watch a magic act (especially Penn & Teller), more convincing than wrestling, even though you know it can't be real. :o

I saw the first moon landing live on TV, I'm pretty sure its real. :geek:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I mean, with all that blood, how can wrestling be fake?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I also think wrestling is staged, predetermined and sort of fake. Certainly they make it look real though...it's like certain video games. Either you love it or loathe it... I was never a big fan of it, although I know some who are gaga over it...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:I mean, with all that blood, how can wrestling be fake?
The blood, the throw downs, etc. might not be fake. That's why I think it is "sort of fake" in that, the fights, including beat downs are staged. Meaning, getting beatup and spilling blood is part of requirement of the sport. Just like a martial arts performance involves breaking bricks and stuff showcasing strength and toughness, wrestling beatdowns also showcase the toughness albeit in a slightly different way...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I haven't watched wrestling since the early 1970s, when I was an early teen.
It was one of those things that made the 70s the greatest decade ever.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, CV, but what about the Taru Tanaka "submission hold"? Surely that is real?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I don't know Jim about that move...the thing is the moves, beat downs etc. might be real. But I think there is a difference in this sport versus other sports. For example, in UFC and boxing, the fights are not staged. You fight to knockout your opponent. You fight to hurt as bad as you can your opponent. But I don't see that in pro wrestling. In pro wrestling, I feel you do stuff to show that to crowd, but not really put your opponent out of business...