NM on Figeac

AKR

NM on Figeac

Post by AKR »

So for those who have not looked at a Wine Advocate in a while, Neil Martin has taken over the Bordeaux beat.

(I had let my subscription lapse for close to a decade, and hardly read what was sent in paper format near the end as well)

He published an extensive overview of Figeac yesterday, which I only read the first half today, but its terrific.

The article is much more than mere vintages and scores - it's a thorough history of the estate, the soil, the families, and so on. It's so far beyond anything like what they used to publish previously. I suspect this is due to

a) Neil Martins youtful energy to really explore these topics
b) His considerable gifts/skill as a writer
c) Electronic publishing which poses few limits on pictures nor length of articles

It's a very long article, realistically beyond what most people would consider 'fair use', but I recommend it.

The last few months, NM has been on a tear with his Bordeaux work. I'm not really sure that my palate preferences line up with his, but the articles have really made the subscription worth it.

What's the world coming to: reading the WA for the articles ... and no nekked pictures in Playboy?!

;)
Comte Flaneur

Re: NM on Figeac

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I saw Arv - looking forward to reading this, hopefully over the weekend.

I think he is also going to write up our Chateau Margaux dinner we had here a few months ago
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Where does he come down on the new directions/hiring Rolland at Figeac?
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

From my limited experience with wine appreciation/criticism I thought Chris Kissac (Winedoctor.com) really broke ground with the sort of in-depth writing you describe.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blanquito wrote:Where does he come down on the new directions/hiring Rolland at Figeac?
He addresses it a number of times (since plenty are outraged) but doesn't believe it will cause negative effects.

There are gradations in how much "Rolland" gets added to the various estates, and I think he touches on it.