Zachys: Can you stop trying to bullshit me?

JimHow

Zachys: Can you stop trying to bullshit me?

Post by JimHow »

Jesus H.
I'm getting really tired of your "Boss Is Away" and "This is the last ever" sales.
Good grief.
Please.
Zachy's…
Z-Man…
Stop!
Stop it!
Just fucking stop!
You haven't offered anything of any significance since the 2002 clearance sale.
That was like 11 years ago.
Your constant bullshit, OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, is just wearing on me.
Stop it!
Your "sales" are not sales.
Your prices suck the big one.
Stop trying to bullshit us.
Good grief.
STOP!
Enough is enough.
Blanquito

Re: Zachys: Can you stop trying to bullshit me?

Post by Blanquito »

Their prices do suck. And they ship in the middle of heat waves, without permission from the buyer.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just really hate -- despise -- bullshitters.
I see these videos on their site, where the son in law is down in the basement.
Surrounded by all these rare Burgundies.
And, oh, because the father in law is away, he's gonna sell off these 2002, 2005, 2009, 2010 Burgs at these supposedly amazing prices....
And we're supposed to believe that..
Except until you actually check the prices, and it's all bullshit!
I mean, if they did this once or twice or three times, okay, they've got a business to run.
But over and over and over…
For like decades.
Year after year...
They try to pull this nonsense.
It's exhausting.
Enough!
Your prices SUCK, Zachys!
Your 2015 futures are a JOKE, they are like the worst in the country.
Stop it!
You guys are a bunch of fools!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Took you long enough...

I have some very fond memories of shopping with my father at Zachy's in the 1980s. We "took a drive to Scarsdale" and were like kids in a candy store. But it's been years since I've even opened one of their emails.
jal

Post by jal »

You are right for 98% of the time. The emails are mostly useless and the sale price are ridiculous. Daniel Posner from Grapes is the go to for New York State wine sales.
But the other 2% of the time have some merit. The "Christmas in August" Burgundy Blowout sale was actually very good and bargains could be found aplenty, I didn't buy anything because I now live in a small condo with limited wine storage, but I was tempted. Also, Saturday is when one could find Pappadoc in the store, just seeing him smile when we used to walk in is equivalent to a discount.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You're right, Jacques, but the hit rate for the emails is so low I don't bother reading them. On the rare occasions they do have a good sale I can now rely on the "deals" threads here and elsewhere to alert me.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

It was really nice to see John there. The first time I went to the store in like 2005, I'd never met John in person before but I knew he worked there from BWE. I asked him a generic question or two about some wine, and in short order he somehow divined that I was from BWE! I spent a very enjoyable 35-40 mins walking around the shop with him, and he pointed out some good deals. He was a font of knowledge (that was the first time I heard Rolland refered to as the Magician) and our palates aligned well.
jckba

Post by jckba »

You have to price shop at Zachys as sale prices and/or email offerings unfortunately do not mean all that much. For me the best deals are usually found in Andrew's Italian offerings as I think he likely overbuys in Italy and once in a while is forced to move some inventory to make room for the next vintage. I agree that their Bdx pricing is outrageous and sometimes it really makes me wonder if they are in the business of selling wine. But occasionally there is a blowout sale that is worthwhile much like the 'Christmas in August' Burgundy blowout that Jacques referenced above which included lots of deals granted most from lesser vintages but new items were added over the course of the month and lots of the pricing was below regular wholesale costs.
jckba

Post by jckba »

My real issue with Zachys though is their non-existent inventory management system as I am sick of placing orders for things and once I go to put them in my cart, the website tells me that there are only 6 btls left. So I then revise my order downwards and then submit my order only to then get an email from customer service the next day stating that the item has since sold out. It's truly annoying.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Back in the '80s Zachys' big selling point was "We HAVE the wine! You'll see it advertised elsewhere for less but they wont have it in stock." Guess that's changed.

Thier Bdx prices are high but I'm sure they sell plenty. They no doubt have a clientele that is more affluent/less price sensitive than the typical BWE. IOW, they have more dollars than sense.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Why wine-searcher doesn't kill stores like Zachys is a continual mystery to me. Maybe they get enough foot traffic and people buying 1-3 bottles and so don't want to ship.
AKR

Post by AKR »

If one is a prosperous Westchester banker/lawyer/doctor/contractor/etc. they may not have the time nor inclination for price shopping their occasional bottle of Tignello.

I don't think the crowd here is a particularly desirable, profitable niche for them -- it's a price aware, vintage sensitive, interstate shipping prospective customer base.

Selling a big ticket bottle at a 30% markup (just making up numbers, so lets say $30 profit on that Tig) can be more profitable than brokering a case of Cantemerle at a thin margin (lets pretend $2/btl) to people here. Some of that markup disappears into increased staffing, free shipping, and nice real estate -- so its not all bottom line pure profit of course.

But there are natural reasons why new oenophiles might start their explorations there, and eventually gravitate toward vendors who offer a value/service mix more in tune with what they need.

A healthy market can support both a WalMart and a Nordstroms.

=========

I'll take this opportunity to give a shout out to some vendors who I started using when my hair was black, and still love today, when my hair is gray
  • K&L - not just for Bdx, but Ralph/Claude traffic in lots of small direct imports, beyond the grand cru classe
    MacArthurs - Mark's team is awesome for France, and they are measured in their emails
    Hart Davis - no particular contacts there, and one pays up, but provenance is reliable
    Garagiste - controversial of course, and Rimmerman's bdx offerings are infrequent, but usually aged and interesting
    Winex - good emails on Bordeaux that are worth the read even if one doesn't purchase
Newer names who have displaced old reliables include
  • JJB - seem to have some 'in' with Jeffrey Davies
    Benchmark - like Hart Davis, they ask a full & fair price, in return for superb provenance
I've reconnected with Chambers St. after a long absence - I used to work around the corner from them - and look forward to their AFWE selections.

Never in the history of the galaxy has it been a better time to be a consumer of fine wine.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I thought the burgundy blow out sale was attractive