2005 Boyd-Cantenac

dstgolf

2005 Boyd-Cantenac

Post by dstgolf »

Today after a practice round for upcoming seniors event on Tuesday a dozen of us got together at a very good friends house for dinner drinks, wine and a few laughs. This group is always fun but after a long day on the course I was doubting the love!! My buddy asked us over for dinner following for casual evening with wives. Casual is an oxymoron for this guy. He's done very well and he's happy to share his success and who's to say no?? We arrive and the servants are presenting stems of Krug. Caterers are busy preparing a full evenings of high end Indian delights. N butter chicken here!! I'm asked to come to the cellar to choose a few wines. Problem is I'm thinking off dry whits but no time to cool them down so I'm rifling through bottles and I go 2007 Tignanello should work and then a 2005 Boyd-Catenac,,,,maybe not Indian food friendly but I want to try it.

Amazing match and I never would have thought. The BC was a little tight and tannic upon opening but an hour later man this was nice. Classic Margaux with the berries singing and the spice in the wine amazingly never dropped a step with the food. I never would have in my wildest dreams felt red Bordeaux let alone an elegant Margaux to stand tall with the meal. An outstanding pairing and fabulous wine. It always amazes me abut how universal and flexible a good Bordeaux really can be. An amazing surprise that I don't think I'll soon forget. Wine itself 95pts but may have been upgraded by the company, food or just an F...ing good wine thatI haven't had n a long time

Tig for me too young and too new world Italian. Most at the table couldn't under stand my fuss over the quantum difference between this BC and the Tig because in their minds both were great. Reconfirmed to me even more why I love Bordeaux. The Tig was a light weight by comparison.

2005 BC a real winner for me/us on this night.
Danny
AlexR

Re: 2005 Boyd-Cantenac

Post by AlexR »

Servants presenting stems of Krug, and a choice of blonde, brunette, or redhead.
Hey, sounds like a great evening!

Boyd Cantenac is a wine lover's wine. Not well-known. Not flashy. But good old-fashioned. Médoc that doesn't cost a week's salary.

AR
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sounds great Danny. Was there much heat on the food? I too wouldn't have guessed Bdx with spicy/hot Indian food.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nice, Danny. It calls to mind the casual dinner we had at Corinne's home in 2005.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Agree with Alex
Indeed Boyd C 2005 is really excellent (I have an opened case in the cellar). A winner
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I have a bunch of this, but I've not tried one yet. Marguax did so well in 2005 and it was $40 as futures, so I bought a case.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David,

Some of the courses were indeed kicked up a notch. Nothing is too hot for my buddy but he knows most white mortal's don't have the capacity to venture into his realm of heat. There were these shrimp marinated in tumeric/cayene/black pepper then sauteed with fresh ginger and garlic was superb and a good kick. Beef curry was up a notch and lobster tails were fabulously balanced mix of heat and spice. Couldn't believe how well the Boyd-Cantenac held up to food. Absolutely delicious.

Patrick,

You're lucky to have a case and this is certainly worth a trial run with a case on hand. It's lovely now but has a good life ahead.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Had two mags of this puppy, it is long gone.
It is a very serious effort.
From what I can tell 2005 was indeed kind to Margaux.