2005 Bernadotte, 2009 Cantemerle

Rudi Finkler

2005 Bernadotte, 2009 Cantemerle

Post by Rudi Finkler »

To put it in a nutshell, both wines are very delicious, each in its own way, and illustrate what a remarkable diversity the widespread appellation Haut-Médoc has to offer.

The 2005 Bernadotte is a wonderful, old school claret that reveals its true class only over the course of the meal. Initially, it shows unobtrusive oak, iodine, and an astonishing richness of herbs, spices, leather, minerals, and forest floor on the nose and the palate, with blackcurrants, elderberries, and blueberries in the background - certainly a disappointment to those who expect a mainstream fruit-focused claret.
With time, more and more delicious fruit notes emerge, and the wine turns into a complex, elegant, more 'feminine', supple, and gracious wine without losing its lovely, earthy and mineral character. It still has plenty of life in it and can benefit from a few more years in the cellar. If the spicy, mineral finish was longer, this would really be a competitor for the outstanding Cantemerle.

With its aromas of black cherry, cassis, flowers, and sweet cedar wood, the complex bouquet of the 2009 Cantemerle is so alluring you can't wait to taste it. There is an impressive depth on the palate, with layers of dark fruits, especially black cherries and blackberries, and an excellent mineral freshness. The delicious fruit is by no means overripe, and the spicy, toasted oak not overdone. It has the same moderate alcohol content, 13 %, as the Bernadotte. With its Margaux-like fragrance and a hint of port-like sweetness on the finish, this very harmonious, and beautifully balanced wine is the best Cantemerle I had since the legendary 1989. However, a few more years of cellaring still are required.
AKR

Re: 2005 Bernadotte, 2009 Cantemerle

Post by AKR »

I missed the 2005 Bernadotte on release and still have never gotten around to buying/trying some.

Enjoyed the good years a lot. Thanks for the note.

I don't know if its good or bad that P.Lalande is no longer involved.
DavidG

Re: 2005 Bernadotte, 2009 Cantemerle

Post by DavidG »

Thanks for the notes, Rudi. I've got a half-case of the 2009 Cantemerle and I'm tempted, but will let them rest a few more years.