Partial Thanks to Obama

dstgolf

Partial Thanks to Obama

Post by dstgolf »

Yesterday we held our annual golf and wine day or as we look at it our private exclusive member-guest. Played this year at The Ottawa Hunt club that was supposed to be included on President Obama's recent visit to Ottawa. Unfortunately for him he missed out playing a great course but fortunate for us the dinner planned for him was set up for us!!

Golf was fabulous as usual in spite of the intermittent rain. We had a great time and better still my guest and I won the trophy/a few dollars along with bragging rights for another year. Best part of the golf was taking down my buddy head to head shooting 73 in the rain is usually hard to beat but he gave a run going 2 under in the last three holes with presses on each hole. Nice thing was I matched him stroke for stroke!!

Following golf shower and change we settled in to the main event toasting with 2006 Crystal. Just delicious,crisp and refreshing. Lovely start and always a favourite. A few apps...tuna tartare on endive and chevre tarts led in to are pre dinner vertical tasting and wow what a prelude.

1986 Cos d'Estournel Audouzed 2 hrs prior to serving and it was in perfect shape. Wide open with complex spiced nose,leather and light cherries. Tannins still present but not as hard as expected for an 86. This wine continued to evolve over the 4 hrs it was in front of us and the metamorphosis was enjoyed by all. Complex five spice powder ,forest floor, aged beef,sandalwood and graphite all in harmony with each element coming to the fore through the eve giving everyone a fabulous treat of a perfectly stored aged Bordeaux that we all love. This is drinking beautifully now but still has 5-10 yrs of peak pleasure. This is not dying any time soon.

1990 Cos d'Estournel was gracious and elegant from the get go. Again Audouzed rather than decant and the nose was heavenly showing a little more ripe cherry/plum along with spice and cedar. Complexity again reigned with soft evolved tannins. More bricking than the 86 and showed to be further along its curve. Fruit moved into the background and cinnamon,cardamon,forrest floor, cassis and lead pencil all pointing elegance. The wine over the first 2-3hrs was the star but noticebly started to fade by the end of the night. Well stored and single cellar bought on futures tells me this is nearing the end of its peak and should be drunk up or face disappointment risk going forward.

2000 Cos d'Estournel was a little muted when poured but just continued to open in all ways through the night. Definitely still in its primary stage,closed early on but certainly rose to strut its pedigree by the end of the night the wine will be spectacular at its peak and will surpass both the 86 and 90 in my opinion. Perfect balance, great depth of dark cassis,plums and cherries with cedar and lead pencil reminding me of its Pauillac neighbors but more depth ala Pichon Baron than Lafite. Fabulous wine and sad part I've drank 11 bottles now too young!!!

2001 Cos d'Estournel was a surprise. More open than the 2000 and still primary but classic Cos and drinking very well right now with soft ripe tannins. Much better than anticipated and anyone that finds this at a discounted price won't be disappointed. Won't have the life or complexity at maturity that the 2000 will have but still a lovely wine.

With scallops served on bed of pureed parsnip, chanterelle and hen of the woods mushrooms topped with lardons was divine. First failure of the night was a severely oxidized 1999 Chapoutier l'Ermite Ermitage that was divine two Christmas dinners back. In to save the day was an incredible La Pusse d'Or 2010 Puligny-Montrachet that was perfection with the scallop dish. Nice fresh acidity,crisp apples,citrus subtle oak barely perceptible. Delicious and ranks up there with one of my favourite white Burgs. Too bad only 150 case annual production and 3 cases come to Quebec annually. Hopefully my buddy will be able to continue to source this in the future.

Main course scheduled for Obama was potatoes Dauphinoise, baby carrots sauteed in duck fat with a touch of maple syrup to finish. Highlight was the Alberta redtail deer tenderloin that melted in our mouth served up on a red wine demi-glace. Flight of wines were a contrast with the Bordeaux striking a first round knock out against some heavy hitting Barollos.

1999 Gaja San Lorenzo was delicious but amazingly uni-dimensional by comparison to the Bordeaux sparring mates. Perfectly crafted but this wine on its own seems spectacular but for $850 I expect more than a perfectly balanced well crafted wine. Inky black and still present tannins showing little sign that this wine is 17 years old. No complexity here and unfortunately it was somewhat embarrassing how the Bordeaux outshone at 1/4 the price.

1998 Vezarrio La Serra was more old school Barolo showing leather,spice and a little brett. Much further down the age curve than the Gaja bricking on the rim and resolved tannins. Very good maturing Barolo but not my thing.

1990 Pichon Baron was stunning. Still youthful and a long life ahead. No sign of bricking here and tannins soft but present. Classic Pauillac with cassis,blackberry,lead pencil and cedar. Great balance and tough to put down.Delicious from start to finish and probably my wine of the night but a toss up between the 1990 Cos early on and the 86 Cos for its performance through the night. Still feel the 2000 Cos will surpass all of these in the years to come.

1990 Pichon Lalonde was one I was looking forward to and usually holds a special place in my heart. This did not disappoint on the nose. Heavenly to sniff but after so many great wines this beauty was showing that she was in her twilight. Tannins fully resolved and starting well into the brick phase. Smooth going down but a little lacking by comparison to the Baron and others :D . This bottle seemed past its prime but on its own I'm sure I'd love.

A spectacular day and evening with great friends. The event is something we cherish year in year out. The disappointment is having to end up comparing so many great wines with each other over such a short period of time. Sad that it ended all too soon but the bar has been set high for next year and we'll look forward to doing it all again. :D
Danny
Nicklasss

Re: Partial Thanks to Obama

Post by Nicklasss »

Great report and surely a great selection of wines. I liked the 2001 Cos, when I had it in 2012. My bro still have the magnum of the 1986 that Jim brought to Montreal in 2003.

1990 Pichon Baron, that i had for the first time with you at our first dinner in Ottawa (in the haunted house), is a great wine.

The company for dinner, seems nice too even if the US President did not show. But i'm not a golf guy, so couldn't appreciate that part!

Nic
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Great notes Danny.

I think you will find Cos from 2005 in a different style (more "modern"...).

I have 3 bottles of the 2000.
Many of the better wines from this vintage are entering their drinking window, but I believe you that this is not the case with Cos.

Lucky you to have such a fine experience :-).

Alex
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Wines were great but its still all about the people you`re with!!
Danny
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

Pretty good memory. The description of the ghosts walking through that place...The Heritage Restaurant in Cumberland was spooky to say the least. It has been closed for about five years now and the former owners said the ghosts spooked everyone out and sabbatoged their business. I don`t really believe that one but it`s a good story. A new tapas restaurant opening in its place this Fall. Time for a visit Nic.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very well done indeed, Danny.
Those Cos's from that era are sublime.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Congratulations on your win, Danny. You had an appropriate celebration afterwards.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Stefan,

We'll have to drag you up here for this event some time in the future if willing. It's not all about the golf! Hopefully the foot has healed. Didn't realize golf was such a dangerous sport.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

Love to come up sometime, Danny, but no way am I going to inflict my golf on you!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Stefan,

Door is always open. Let us know when you'd like to visit the north. Suggest not in the winter unless you want to experience what cold and snow are all about.
Danny