BWE Invading London

dstgolf

BWE Invading London

Post by dstgolf »

Looking forward to getting together with Ian and MEK next Wed for dinner in London en route to Zimbabwe for golf/safari expedition! Best thing is Tim is also arriving from Paris on Wed and we'll have a little reunion. Who says flight changes are for the worst getting me into London a day earlier than anticipated to make this happen. Should be a fabulous start to this adventure!!
Danny
JimHow

Re: BWE Invading London

Post by JimHow »

I want pictures!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Thanks Arv. Maybe I'll take a roll of paper and nose plugs!!
Danny
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

I'll leave picture posting to Tim/Ian/MEK. I've never figured out how to do it.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I know, it take a PhD in computer science to figure out how to post a picture on this site.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

We are greatly looking forward to receiving Danny in London on Wednesday!
tim

Post by tim »

Indeed, I'm going to make a run to the wine storage to pick up a few bottles. I keep adding bottles to the ones that I am planning to take. Need a bigger suitcase....
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Fabulous. Have a great dinner guys!

When I think I wanted to bring MC to London last July 2016, for her birthday... And she did not want to go because of the kids...

:-(

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

You know how great these get togethers are. Looking forward to it big time. Never been to London so what better way to spend a short layover than with Ian,Tim and Maureen!! Man BWE has been a fabulous part of my/our lives with all the wonderful people we've met and become friends with over the years. Hats off to Jim again for continuing to have made all of this possible.
Danny
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

And I (Danielle ) am very very jealous!!!!
Hope you have a great time!
Wish I was going!
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I hope you block off an hour to go to Westminster Abbey Danny!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Leaving on the 10:40pm flt direct to London from Ottawa. Should be in town and at hotel by noon. Looking forward to getting this adventure underway. I couldn't think of a better way to kick start this bucket list trip than with fellow BWE'ers Ian,Tim and Maureen for a night of celebration tomorrow. Should be ffffffantastic!!!! :D
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Danny send me the code when you have have touched down :)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
September 20, 1777
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Classic! First screw up. After spending time on hold last Monday to find out flight had been moved ahead by 24hrs and rearranging work schedule to leave a day earlier told my bags would be checked through to Johanesberg and would not have access to them so bring an overnight bag. At check-in I'm told I'll have to get my bags in London and now schlepp them across town or find a place to check them in at Heathrow....what a pain. Would have loved to have brought something nice to share tomorrow but told I couldn't and now from their incompetence they've ruined my surprise. Fun of travel!!
Danny
tim

Post by tim »

We have plenty of wine, no worries Danny! Are you checked in to the hotel yet?

I am in the Eurostar on my way to London with lots of goodies!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The Eagle has landed.
Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Over.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Agent golf on site! Checked into hotel and trying to get a few zzzzzs before the rendezvous at 17:30. A bientot.
Danny
jal

Post by jal »

Have a great time fellas, looking forward to the full report.
Best

Jacques
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Always fun to have the anticipation to hear the full report. Danny, your report about African adventure, atleast cursory, is also anticipated...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

BWE:

The WORLD'S best wine web site.
tim

Post by tim »

Great night, too many wines. Nine bottles for the three of us (Mek couldn't make it). Needless to say we didn't finish all of them, lots of leftovers for the coming days. Great to see Danny again, and Ian is a great host and cook!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Morning after and all I can say is WOW! Another epic BWE gathering. Anticipation,anxiety waiting in a busy train station at rush hour for a rendezvous with Ian and then out of the crowd there he was. All smiles and off we go to begin the evening at his place. A little change of plans from the restaurant idea but I'm certain that it was for the better. More relaxed, no issues with time and ultimately food was great.

Time was waiting outside Ian's doorstep on arrival. We probably should have avoided the quick tour of Ian's local wine shop the Tim wouldn't have been stranded with bags in tow...sorry for the wait Tim.

Once inside Tim was like Mary Poppins with his bags!! Mysteries started being pulled out,unwrapped and he had brought a wealth of treasures and oh ya a few bottles of wine to. Block of mis-cuit foie gras, French cheeses,baguettes....now we're talking! Ian pops the 1990 Dom Perignon and now the night begins.

Ian organizes dinner for his recovering dog recently over a bout of pancreatitis???!! and Ians preparing sauteed chicken fingers and boiled rice for his dog before he tends to us....priorities..man and his dog!

Leg of lamb goes in the oven. Somewhere roast potatoes and carrots were prepared along with app of sea bass with rocket/arugula on the side.

1st up with foie gras/ baguette and a delightful gerwertztraminer jelly also from Tims bag we started into a 99 Pape Clement. Not as fresh/crisp as I like to have my white Bordeaux showing its age with brioche and a touch of oxidation but nevertheless still very good match up and a change from the more traditional sauternes.

With sea bass we enjoyed a flight of 82 Pomerols that Tim bought at auction for a stupid price....low$$ but they were all a very good start with la Pointe being the star. Surprisingly still fresh and very enjoyable matching well with the fish. l'Enclos and ??Bourrgneuf-Voy....Tim help can't remember name but both very close seconds the Bourgneuf showing surprisingly younger age than the other two. Little bricking,light but present tannins, a little black olives on the nose and good fruit ahead of the other tertiary notes on its cousins.... only a prelude to the main act.

The big boys came out in the next flight.

86 Conseillante was simply stunning. Classic aged Pomerol and glorious nose with silky mouthfeel. This is what aged Bordeaux(ok Jim Pomerol) is all about. The others were very good but its great when a wine keeps bringing you back for more. My right bank and overall wine of the night.

88 Mouton another stunner but a baby by comparison. Wow this is aging at a glacial pace still very primary but delicious classic Pauillac. Cassis,black fruits and lead pencil on overdrive with hint of background cedar. Wonderful balance, great length and a pleasure to drink. Top left banker of the night.

2001 Latour a Pomerol also fabulous but young. Plummy nose and palate with nice length and would be lovely on its own but lacking next to these stablemates. Was it too young maybe but the competition it was up against I don't think this will approach the level of the other two. Tie for #3

2001 Cheval Blanc a heavy hitter for sure and lovely but again over shadowed. Light on her feet,a little closed on the nose early on but opened nicely through the evening. Light raspberry, cassis and spice all in harmony. Delicious but young.

Through a wonderful cheese course we revisited the cornucopia before us, continued to chat, laugh and reminisce. What a great night and the only disappointment was Maureen didn't make it. The fourth empty chair was missed and hopefully next time MEK.

All things come to an end and after a fabulous night Ian called an UBER,hugs at curb side and thank god the driver dropped me at the right door. Man it would have been a shocker if he got the address wrong or something because I wouldn't have had a clue!! Warm enough night to sleep on the street but happy to have had a good rest in a comfortable bed. Looking forward to a tour of London today then off to safari in Victoria Falls 7pm flight out tonight.

Thanks to Ian's great hospitality and both Tim/Ian's generosity. Epic night to remember and this is only the beginning of my three week sadly solo adventure sans beautiful Danielle. Guy trips are great but nights like this make me sad when I haven't shared them with my wife. Until next time!!
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

These photos seem to be chopped off! Tim should be in this one
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

In all of these pictures 25% of what is on the right gets chopped off. In the above the 88 !Mouton got chopped out
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Fabulous evening we decided to do it at home because the restaurant wanted to restrict us to two bottles. I was willing to negotiate down to eight but no further.

It was great to see Danny and Tim and we had a lot of laughs. Danny's description of the wines was pretty spot on. The DP 90 has evolved into a majestic mature champagne, the Pape was much more evolved than the crisper one we enjoyed with Alex over Easter, but still good and nicely weird/complex.

The three 1982s which Tim scooped for unbelievable prices were holding up very well, with the Bourgneuf being the pick of the trio.

The two wines which really stood out for me relative to expectations were the Latour A Pomerol and the Conseillante. The latter was close to perfection, and is the third amazing right bank 1986 I have tried. The other two are Cheval Blanc and Figeac. If someone told you it was the 1982 or 1985 you would not have batted an eyelid. The LaP was on the young side but had an alluring tension and iron-minerally note. The Cheval a Blanc was the least open for business of all the wines. This is one to forget about for at least five years but will be great once it starts to gain some secondary/tertiary development. The Mouton was very good indeed. It gives oodles of pleasure and if you like your wines young then drink it now. But I think it will keep on getting better with time.

Tim and I will polish off the leftovers tonight!

Safe travels Danny Boy!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Seems like these pictures are only truncated on my iPad.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

They look good to me on the site, those are some damned good looking men!

Haven't had a chance to read the notes yet but will do so soon.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Pictures look good Ian. Great night and one I'll never forget. The wines were good but the company amazing. Thanks for your generosity again. Tiring 5 hr hoponhopoff bus tour of London today but in view of limited time it was a wonderful orientation. Off to the airport. Next stop Victoria Falls. Hope yo are surviving your day at work and best to Tim.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

Great BWE get together ya'll had! I trust that Maureen gets some leftover wine tonight.