BWE Invading London

DavidG

Re: BWE Invading London

Post by DavidG »

Well done! Love the report and the pictures.

Arv, the sun never sets on BWE.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

stefan wrote:Great BWE get together ya'll had! I trust that Maureen gets some leftover wine tonight.
Indeed. Mouton is fabulous on day #2

In hindsight MEK made the right decision because she had a big presentation today at 8am. We were all over the place this morning.

tim

Post by tim »

We gave Mek a choice, she went straight for the Mouton!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah yes, going for the WS 100 pointer.
Very well done indeed!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Great report of a great get together! You look like three kids!

Guess I'll have to make it to The City one day.

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

Always a kid at heart. Once you let that go then its over! Nice to see MEK went to the heavy hitter but likely the star of the night....86 Conseillante was drained! Sorry MEK if that was the case but from a second day survivor perspective I think the Mouton would still drink very well on day 2 in view of the youthfulness of the wine and better than the Conseillante. Glad you were able to enjoy MEK and seeing how I dragged my butt through the day I think you made a wise choice in view of having an 8 am presentation. Next time.
Danny
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Sounds like a wonderful evening. Of course, that seems to be the norm for any BWE event. :-)
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Thank god for that fabulous start to my vacation/adventure. Transferring thru Johannesberg was the worst experience of my life and I've been thru a lot of airports around the world. Total chaos and over 3 hrs in line before I cut the queue to catch next flight. Hundreds/thousands of people missed connections and they don't give a damn. Talk about absence of order and who knows about law. Bribes being made and others trying are delayed further by trying to bribe the wrong guy. No redirect for connecting flights whatsoever. Avoid this transfer if possible and my friends in Victoria Falls have said they have one of the highest rates of baggage theft anywhere in the world. At least my bags and more importantly golf clubs made it. If they're stolen on the return I'm due for a new set anyhow!!! :lol:
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Total chaos and over 3 hrs in line before I cut the queue to catch next flight. Hundreds/thousands of people missed connections and they don't give a damn. Talk about absence of order and who knows about law. Bribes being made and others trying are delayed further by trying to bribe the wrong guy. No redirect for connecting flights whatsoever.
Sounds almost as bad as Boston….
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

Boston,Chicago,NYC, LA are nothing by comparison. You have no idea until you experience it yourself...absolute bedlam!
Danny
jal

Post by jal »

That's crazy, Jill and I got to Joburg Thursday morning and transferred to local airline for a short flight to Nelspruit. We are now In Kruger for a safari. No problem whatsoever, the landing and departure as well as the luggage went as smoothly as any Swiss airport. What's more total strangers at the airport stopped to help us every time we hesitated.
Maybe it's the Zimbabwe connection.
Have a great time Danny, seems like a blast, we'll miss Victoria Falls but there's always next time.
Best

Jacques
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jal,

If I can figure how to post a photo of the line through security I'll try. 3hrs in line and about half way through. The passport check/immigration line was packed Friday morning but about 6 big flights all in together!! Safaris in Hwange National park for last 4 days more than made up for it and hopefully return through Joberg will be more your experience.

PS The South African wines we had for dinners each night at camp were excellant quafers. KWV,Nedburg cabs from what I remember.
Danny
jal

Post by jal »

I don't doubt it Danny, just amazed that 24 hours earlier, it was empty at 6:00am.
And yes, we had some really good and cheap South African wines; Guardian Peak Merlot, Protea Shiraz, both excellent and about $10 a bottle. We had one mediocre pinotage that was too sweet and nondescript.
Best

Jacques