TN: Trying to get back into the swing of things with a few recent bottles

Gerry M.

TN: Trying to get back into the swing of things with a few recent bottles

Post by Gerry M. »

For the last year or so I've been really lazy about recording notes of the bottles I've tried so here it goes:
  • 2007 Château Branaire-Ducru - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (9/22/2016)
    A very pleasant, early drinking claret. Nose is muted and the tannins have integrated very well. Some herb and red fruit along with a little smoke to round out. For the $31 paid it was a very nice value but for the current price of $50+ there are too many better choices. (87 pts.)
  • 2001 Karl Lawrence Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/21/2016)
    This is the longest aged bottle I've tried of KL and it is outstanding! Such a shame that they've gone by the wayside. Nose of black fruit and tar. Not at all alcoholic on the nose. Beautifully in balance with a black fruit on the palate but the tannins have mellowed out. Nice medium finish with just a hint of menthol which lingers on. Just a joy to drink at this point. A tremendous value given the current pricing for quality wines like this. I have to find more of this! (93 pts.)
  • 1999 Robert Mondavi Winery Fumé Blanc To-Kalon I Block - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/20/2016)
    Shockingly good. For a 17 year old SB this was incredible. Others have described this better than I can but I will say it's a stretch to compare this old world SB. There is little acidity but the fruit is still amazingly present. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon - France, Champagne (9/11/2016)
    This was very nice but still very young. I'll hang onto my others for about another 7 to 10 years. (90 pts.)
  • 1989 Château Branaire (Duluc-Ducru) - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (9/11/2016)
    No formal note taken but a little disappointing. Not bad but for the producer and vintage I was expecting more. Decanted for 2 hours. Initially strong bell pepper on the nose but quickly blew off. Some cigar and earthy notes on the palate. Rather thin and has not really developed much complexity. (87 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
AKR

Re: TN: Trying to get back into the swing of things with a few recent bottles

Post by AKR »

I never understood what happened with Karl Lawrence?

Liked them when I was younger but sort of lost touch, and they folded?
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

The name Karl Lawrence came from merging the two middle names of the owners Mike Trujillo and Bryan Henry. They had access to some great vineyards and made some great wines. To be honest I didn't really appreciate them much young but they age very well and now enjoy them when I can find the early ones earlier than 2010 vintage.

In 2010 they dissolved the partnership and went their own ways. The label was sold off and I believe there was a 2013 but with a different wine maker. Mike Trujillo did start up his own label bearing his name but have not had a chance to try.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I agree that Karl Lawrence was a sweet spot for California Cabernet. Really nice wines at a reasonable price. The last 2001 I drank was awfully good; I think I still have 1 or 2 bottles from that vintage. I bought a few bottles of the 2011 Trujillo production. The ones I have drunk have been high quality and enjoyable, but the price is now about $75 a bottle, so I stopped purchasing them.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I've seen them on Winebid in the $35-40 range lately which I've been tempted to try. For $75 I agree is too much.