BWE Hurricanes about to hit New York

Comte Flaneur

BWE Hurricanes about to hit New York

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Two hurricanes - Hurricane Maureen and Hurricane Comte (Agent 004) - from across the Atlantic likely to hit the Tristate Area early tomorrow evening. Hurricane Jean-Christophe from nearby Connecticut on Friday evening. Hurricane Tom is already swirling up a storm in the City, negotiating down the corkage. And the big one on Saturday when Hurricane Jim hits Manhattan.

Watch this space.
JimHow

Re: BWE Hurricanes about to hit New York

Post by JimHow »

Agent How prepared for Saturday arrival. Over.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sure sounds like it will be an epic blow-out!

Have fun, lads and ladies.
tim

Post by tim »

Wish I were there!!!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Ramon 'The Godfather' Cabrera is looking after proceedings...
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Agent MEK at LHR T5

Agent Comte/004 at LHR T5

Over and out.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

Enjoy an owesome evening. I shall be flying to Florida, coping with a different sort of hurricane.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, agents, we shall see you soon!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looks like the worst of the wind is going to be gone by the time the weather hits Manhattam on Saturday.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Have a blast guys.

I'll be in Montreal this weekend.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Agent How on the road headed southbound to Manhattan. Over.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Splendid night last night, notes to come.

Jim are you going to be here on Sunday evening to watch the debate?

JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Agent How reporting from Manhattan Base,
Unfortunately I have to leave early tomorrow Agent Comte, if I don't beat the leaf peepers up the turnpike my 6 hour drive will turn into a 10 hour drive.
See you soon. Over!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Ah no worries Jim...we were hoping we might be able to watch it with you over a nice bottle or two and experience your comments live! See you this evening -7pm kick off
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Dinner last night at what used to be Fabio Piccole Fiore and is now just Piccole Fiore, because Fabio left to set up Fabios. Very sadly Fabio died of pancreatic cancer in January. Tiziano was very emotional about losing his friend before he even turned 50.

Last night there were seven of us: Ramon who organised the event, Alex, Dale, Jean-Christophe, Justin, MEK and yours truly.

Starter:

Champagne L'Annee extra brut 2010

Painfully young, but good potential

Flight one: 

Produttori del Barbaresco 1964

A pure translucent hue reflected the fastidious attention to detail of the owner Dale standing this up for two plus weeks, and an ethereal wine to die for, gently perfumed, feminine and elegant. 95

Produttori del Barbaresco 1971

More volatile bovril celery salt notes on the nose, this had hints of Indian spices and a marvellous honeyed texture. It started to fall away after 90 minutes. 92 

Flight two: 

Giacosa Barbaresco Santo Stefano 1986

Sadly corked. 

Sandrone Barolo Cannubi Boschis 1995

After the two older wines this wine tasted blocky, clunky, gloopy, awkward and a bit one dimensional and anodyne. Not a bad wine but a modern inexpressive one. Just to show how the square peg of modern techniques does not always fit into the round hole of the Nebbiolo grape. It is not clear where this is headed. 88

Giacosa Barbaresco 1997

Faded blood-orange, a bit cloudy, oxidative note, salty/celery salt one associates with old barolos, and a bit of dustiness could lead to the false impression that this has had it, but it is a svelte wine underneath with a silky texture and herby and spicey notes and a fine finish. 93

Flight three:

Manzone Barolo Gramolere 2000

Another wine that tasted a bit anodyne and curmudgeonly at the same time as residual tannins dominated its modest fruit. Pleasant enough with food but underwhelming. 87

Aldo Conterno Barolo Cicala 2000

A delicious and gorgeous, complex, nicely resolved wine. Lush and fully mature, recognisable barolo traits. 94

Flight four:

La Spinetta Barolo Versu Vigneto Campe 2001

This was ostensibly a voluptuous exuberant wine, but it soon became apparent that this was somewhat unbalanced, with overripe fruit and low acidity. 87

Cappellano Barolo Pie Rupestris 2001

Still dense and brooding, concentrated and powerful, this is a really great wine in the making, which came on very strong at the end as it opened majestically even slightly outshining its illustrious Giacosa Riserva flight mate. 96

Giacosa Barbaresco Rabaja Riserva 2001

Elegant and refined, fine acidity, silky, pure and classy, with bright red fruits, mineral notes and the finesse and gravitas of a great Grand Cru red burgundy. 95

Dessert: Malaga Dessert - could be over 100 years old

Cross between a Pedro Ximenez and a Madiera this had the texture of motor oil and the appearance of crude oil. A fascinating wine. 
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jal

Post by jal »

Have a blast boys and girls. I wish I was there with you guys
Best

Jacques
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Have a blast... Stay safe and drive safe...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Looks like Cappellano once again proved real deal. Don't know how it is faring post Baldo.

Great producer and thanks to Theobaldo, he didn't want his wines rated and every wine taster honored it, resulting the wine price not hitting stratosphere unlike conternos, voerzios, gaja, etc...
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Yes Cappellano really is the real deal. The 1999 is now stratospheric...

It was a big night so we needed a big hangover-liberating American breakfast

Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

This is the provisional line up for tonight:

DP 2005
Ducru 78, Justin's 77 Ringer
LLC 78, PLL 78
PLL 88, Cos 89, 90 Pichon Baron
Palmer 96, Ducru 03, Ramon's Mystery wine
LLC 95, LLC 02, LLC 90
Rieussec 09
jal

Post by jal »

Giacosa, Conterno, Cappellano! Legends! Nice going!
I understand Sandrone, La Spinetta, and Scavino mellhave owed out a lot in the last few vintages and now the wines show a lot less er... exuberance? Marrying modern and traditional techniques was what I heard a lot in Piedmont last year. I would be curious to know if anyone has tried recent vintages of Sandrone or any of the other two.
How was the food?
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Great BWE event last night, more reports to come after I get feeling back in my jaw....
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Another epic evening at Mangeoire in mid town, an excellent venue for future events that is worth noting. We were nine-handed and we kicked off with two bottles of Jim's Dom Perignon 2005. Even though this is young it is already delicious and an outstanding DP. Btw unfortunately I mislaid my notes so this is all from memory. 

In the first flight we had 78 Ducru Beaucaillou pitted against Justin's 1977 100% Cabernet Sauvignon ringer. The Ducru was corked - not badly so but corked all the same. Argh...not again! I have had really rotten luck with this wine. The 1977 turned out to be a Torres Gran Coronas Reserva, which was hanging on well...but there was much better to come. 

In fact the next flight was immense. The 1978 Leoville-Lascases was a beauty, and nicely resolved classic LLC. But it wasn't quite as dazzling as the bottle I tried a few weeks ago, which romped home in a St-Julien tasting, and it was slightly outshone in my opinion by two Pichon Lalandes - the 1978 and the 1988. It was difficult to choose between these sublime Comtessas. The LLC was more restrained, while these were sexy and exuberant, in the context of wines with only 12.5% ABV.

The third flight was dubbed the 'killer flight' pitting the 1989 Cos D'Estournel against the 1990 Pichon Baron and the 1990 LLC. The two 1990s had more power and exuberance than the 89 Cos which was a little more subdued by comparison, and much more evolved than the last one I had. The Baron had a notably thick texture, and surprisingly what seemed like some unintegrated vanilla oak. It could use a bit more time, but was full bodied and voluptuous. The 90 LLC was the most complete and impressive wine of the flight and is uncharacteristically extroverted for a LLC, which virtually everyone loved. I personally prefer the more classic style of LLC, but this was clearly the wine of the flight for virtually everyone.

In the next flight 1996 Palmer was pitted against 2003 Ducru and Ramon's mystery wine. The Palmer was quite introverted and was difficult to analyse in a noisy environment (doors open and sirens blaring down Second Avenue). The Ducru was nicely open for business and showed very well indeed. I guessed the mystery wine was a early 2000s Leoville-Poyferre because it tasted very modern. I was surprised for it to be revealed as 2003 Montrose, a wine I adored last time I had it. This one was good but seemed to lack a bit of stuffing surprisingly and I preferred the Ducru. The Palmer rather got lost in the melee. 

The final flight pitted the 1995 and 2002 LLC. I expected the former to be closed for business and for the latter to outshine it. If anything the 1995 outshone the 2002. But both were really excellent. As someone who owns a case of the 1995 this was most encouraging because it is developing into a really superb wine. It is still young, of course, but its class and density reminded me of the Cappellano on Friday night.

The 2009 Rieussec ably rounded off the night. The 1990 LLC was comfortably voted the wine of the night and I can't remember what came next, but I do remember the 1995 LLC doing well. My two wines of the night were the two Comtessas. Jim and Ramon accompanied MEK and I back to our hotel where we drank Jim's excellent but still youthful 2001 Cos and we also found a cheeky half bottle of 2003 Chateau D'Yquem, while Jim held court with stories of his escapades - from Cambridge England to the FBI and past Presidents who came knocking at his door - while simultaneously conducting live interviews with MEK on subjects like Brexit and Donald Trump. 

All in all a memorable night with Jim in particular in great form and with special thanks to Ramon who organised both dinners. 
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

We are having an early dinner with Jim with Beaune Clos De Mouches 2005 Blanc and a couple of 2002 lefties before settling in for the debate.

It has been a great weekend so far. It would have been even better if Patrick, whom we missed, was here. Next time hopefully.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Left to right: Ramon, Faryan, Tom

Left to right: Justin, Jim, Jean-Christoph and Ceil

Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AKR

Post by AKR »

What a bunch of stunning wines, both nights.

I can't believe there was leftover Rieussec!

Personally I've always thought the 90 LLC is not just a giant, but undervalued in the crazy context of the current fine wine mania.

Glad everyone got there safe and sound, with weather and immigration travails.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice reports Comte, and a nice selection of wines. And thanks for the pictures as it is always fun to see visages of BWE, especially when i never met them yet.

I've always been a fan of the 1978 LLC. Never had the 1990, 1995 or 2002.

Liked the 1988 PL in the past. For the 2003 Montrose, I don't know what happened.

Nic
sdr

Post by sdr »

Hey, great nights of tasting and drinking. And terrific notes, too, especially from memory.

Can you put captions on those photos so we know who is who? Even the hirsute JHo would be almost unrecognizable except for his signature specs.

Stu
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Another terrific BWE night in NYC. Love the pics! The wines sound great too, Pichon Lalande has a such special place in my wine life, so I am pleased to see it shine. Glad you got a worthy bottle of the 90 LLC- both times over tried it (once at Fabio's), it underwhelmed.

PS. I was super bummed I had to miss it. Travel has become so much harder with the little ones, but I am determined to make the Convention in 2017.
Last edited by Blanquito on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

You drink so well!...
stefan

Post by stefan »

Looks like ya'll had an epic BWE dinner. Lucie and I would have come if I had not been committed to being in Richmond, where I drank mostly beer.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Back in Maine. Will report in after I get some sleep!
jckba

Post by jckba »

I had a great time this past Saturday evening at La Mangeoire in east midtown as it was a treat to finally break bread with several BWE folk as well as several other Bordeaux wine enthusiasts (and hopefully future BWE folk!). While I did not take notes as I don't find that taking notes during a dinner of this sort do the wines justice as you are only drinking the wine for a bit before moving onto the next wine and then onto the next flight, but I did have my impressions so here goes:

Two 2005 Dom Perignon's (Jim) proved to be a perfect way to kick off the festivities.

1st flight: 1977 mystery wine (Justin), 1978 Ducru Beaucaillou (Tom). I don't think that the 1977 mystery wine was a pristine btl as there was some cloudiness to it but it turned out to be the Torres Gran Coronas Reserva which in this vintage is actually 90% cabernet sauvignon and 10% cabernet franc from vines that were planted in 1966 (hey I read the back of the label). This was pared with the 1978 Ducru Beaucaillou which unfortunately was corked. This was without a doubt, the weakest flight of the night with two off btls of varying degrees.

2nd flight: 1978 LLC (me), 1978 PLL (Tom) and 1988 PLL (Faryan). 1978 was my birthyear and these two 78's did not disappoint and while I certainly preferred the LLC I would have been happy drinking either of these 2 wines all night long. The 1988 Lalande did not really fit in this flight and clearly drank much younger than its company but it was gorgeous, layered and complex and is drinking wonderfully at present. This was my flight of the night with the LLC at 95 points, ‘78 PLL at 94 points and ’88 PLL 95 points.

3rd flight: 1989 Cos d'Estournel (me), 1990 LLC (Justin) and 1990 Pichon Baron (Jim). This is one of those flights where I think that the Cos and the Pichon paled in comparison to the majestic LLC that was firing on all cylinders and had me from the first sniff. The Baron was a big wine and I think it could have benefitted greatly from a decant. The Cos had a little bit of a stewed fruit expression on the nose and it just may have been a tad bit oxidative and would have likely been a great btl in any other wine night. Baron 93 points, Cos 92 points and a 98 for the Las Cases which ran away with WOTN honors for me.

4th flight: 1996 Palmer (Ian), 2003 Ducru Beaucaillou (Ian) and mystery wine (Ramon). This was another one of those flights where I think that the Palmer got dwarfed by the bigger and riper wines that it was served alongside. While initially the Palmer was somewhat muted, the longer I let it sit in the glass the more it came alive and started showing its class. The Ducru was good but it paled in comparison to the mystery wine that was wrapped in foil and turned out to be the 2003 Montrose. Palmer and Ducru were 93 point wines and the Montrose was a 97 with a big plus.

5th flight: 1995 LLC (Ramon) and 2002 LLC (Ian). I've previously had several btls of shut down 95 Las Cases that were not giving but if this btl is any indicator it looks like it is turning the corner as this offered up telltale St Julien characteristics. The 02 was still youthful but I think the consensus was that it’s going to be a winner. ’95 94 points and ’02 93 points plus.

2009 Rieussec (me). This is still youthful with a beautiful marmalade nose that leads way to a fresh, sweet apricot jelly driven flavor profile that is to die for. 96 points

What a night!
Last edited by jckba on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

sdr wrote:Hey, great nights of tasting and drinking. And terrific notes, too, especially from memory.

Can you put captions on those photos so we know who is who? Even the hirsute JHo would be almost unrecognizable except for his signature specs.

Stu
Now done Stu
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks jckba for the nice report. You realign the judgment on the 2003 Montrose. And I like people who likes LLC!

I understand you so much blanquito. With three kids, it is tougher than ever for me to do these offlines. I really wanted to go, to meet all these new BWEers I never met and spend some time with Mek, Comte and the BD, but job commitments and my kids made it impossible.

But like tou, I'll plan ahead for the next convention as I miseec the last one. It is time we hang out together again in 2017.

Nic
TomRippe

Post by TomRippe »

Hi All,

What a great night it was. This thread is most enjoyable and I'll throw in a few thoughts. Thanks for the notes and photos.

First, I have to say that my palate had a bit of an off night. These things happen.

I found a bit of the wet cardboard nose on the 78 LLC, 78 PL, 88 PL and 89 Cos. Call me crazy. The 78 Ducru was off but sort of slid into that realm, beginning smoothly, gently, with glycerin and lovely femininity before it disintegrated further.

I loved the 78 PL and noted that it probably had the best depth of the night.

Thought highly of the 89 Cos. particularly rich and dark fruit, power, elegance and youthful as a thirty year old man.

90 PBaron Very attractive but with 10% less depth and character than the others in the flight. 16

90 LLC Fine nose. Fresh, youthful. Excellent 17

96 Palmer 17-

95 LLC Rock star fruit. So deep and rich with a touch of graininess that I love. My WOTN 17+

The Dom and Rieussec were terrific.

Thanks to all for their generosity.

Tom
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What a fun weekend!
Ian and Maureen look splendid and lovely as ever, it was the first time I had seen them since the France trip in spring 2015 but that amazing BWE phenomenon was in play, it seemed like only yesterday.
I hadn't seen Ramon in ages and it was great to at last meet Jean-Christoph and his better half Ceil, and TomRippe.
We were also joined by Faryan and Justin, who clearly "get it," two great bordeaux enthusiasts who I am working on recruiting onto the BWE site.

The restaurant -- Mangiore -- over on 2nd/53rd was perfect, great service and attention to detail, the food was outstanding. There was a real great feeling of friendship and camaraderie at the table, even though many of us had met face to face for the first time. Again, another common experience at these dinners. I think the generosity and common passion for the great wines of Bordeaux brings out the best in people.

The 2005 Dom Perignon has been consistently delicious, it is very accessible and smooth for such a young Dom.
The 1978 Ducru may have been corked, it didn't seem to have much on the palate. But the 1978 LLC, 1978 PLL, and 1988 PLL were all stunning to me. The '78 LLC displayed its breed, and the 78 and 88 PLL are just two outstanding vintages for that property and they didn't disappoint. The 1988 PLL was one of my wines of the night, still youthful, very 1988.

The 1990 Leoville Las Cases was my wine of the night. It completely dominated the '89 Cos and the '90 Pichon Baron. The nose was so profound I did not want to drink it. The '90 LLC had everything, strength and power but a flash of voluptuousness… and oh baby that nose! Very youthful purple color. Stunning.

I personally LOVED the two 2003s, the Ducru and the Montrose, they are Jim How kinds of wines. Big, young fruit, powerful, blockbuster, in your face… completely overshadowed the strong 1996 Palmer, no small task. The Palmer, which I enjoyed, seemed a bit atypical for that estate, perhaps a higher cabernet percentage?

The 1995 LLC was singing… Still very young but gorgeous. I came away from this dinner with the reaffirmation that LLC truly is a de facto first growth. I don't remember much about the 2002 LLC we had that night, although I was able to enjoy another bottle the next night (along with a 2002 Gloria and a 1995 white Burgundy) with Maureen and Ian at dinner.

The Rieussec was young and heavenly.

We went back to the W hotel lounge where my memories are cloudy but my recollection is we drank a big and bad (in a good way) 2001 Cos and a to-die-for 2003 d'Yquem, and I think I gave away some secrets of when I was a spy in Russia back during my brief stint with the NSA. Ah well… That was 25 years ago!

What a weekend! Great to see everyone and to meet some for the first time, let's do it again soon!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sipping d'Yquem after dinner at W Hotel lobby with Ian, Maureen, and Ramon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjEDg8HVTws
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Sounds like such a great time - so sorry to miss it. As a mentioned in a an earlier thread, I was leading an Appalachian Trail hike in Central Pennsylvania last weekend.

Great set of wines. I've always been a big fan of Pichon Lalande so I'm not surprised they showed so well. Mixed luck with LLC - last bottle of 1990 was not good and many impressive but not ready others the have left me with not a lot of love for LLC.

Definitely need to recruit Faryan to BWE. Before he moved to NYC, he was a regular on the DC wine scene. Probably been to a least a dozen wine dinners with Faryan in DC. Good guy with great wine sense.

Chris Bublitz