2009 Vina Real Gran Reserva CVNE

Nicklasss

2009 Vina Real Gran Reserva CVNE

Post by Nicklasss »

Rioja tonight.

I particularly liked the basic wine from that producer. Gotta try the Gran Reserva.

Color is nice red, with light aromas of balsamic vinegar, dattes and what else? In mouth, light, with oak, burned dattes, not long, not tannic. A bad bottle? A deception. Hard to assess. Missing power. No rating.

Nic
AKR

Re: 2009 Vina Real Gran Reserva CVNE

Post by AKR »

I think if people like traditional BDX they will generally like CVNE and sister estate Vina Real.

Have not had their Contino wines which from what I understand is a different vineyard area, and made in a more modern way.
Carlos Delpin

Post by Carlos Delpin »

Contino is really good. Jesus Madrazo, the winemaker, is a good friend and makes classic wines. If you can find it get your hands on a Viña del Olivo bottling or a "Jesus Madrazo selection" bottle and you'll see what I mean. Cheers.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

I think it may have been a bad bottle, or perhaps too young. I have had the Grand Reserva just a few times (it is not a particularly common wine in NZ) and it has always been excellent. Benefits from decanting and I have noticed that, notwithstanding being a pretty traditional Rioja, they seem to be released younger these days and so may well benefit from more time.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I had a bottle of the 2005 CVNE Imperial Reserva [Rioja] the last couple of nights. Its excellent and reminds me of an older Pichon Lalande. Very silky, refined. Great nose. For a large estate, with lots of bottlings, I would think the wines should be somewhat more available, but on the West Coast I mostly have to get them shipped. They are worth it though!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic

If you like Rioja try Lealtanza 2012 Reserva from the SAQ. Great balance, fruit, and no harsh edges with good length for reasonable price. It still is in the system and ordered a case last weekend.

Danny
Danny
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’ve been lucky enough to fairly regularly enjoy CVNE wines from 1961-2001 (Ted’s main wine love is classic Spanish reds), and I found nothing but a fantastic rioja decade after decade. I laid down some ‘01 Vina Real GR for like $28 per 8-9 years ago. Sounds like they’ve kept the faith in more recent years too.