2014 Claux Delorme

Nicklasss

2014 Claux Delorme

Post by Nicklasss »

From the lesser known aoc Valençay in Loire, a nice red made from gamay, cabernet franc, pinot noir and cot (malbec). Nice medium red color, with a good nose of red berries, cherries, somes minerals, meat and red licorice. Month is fresh, juicy, on red licorice and berries, pinot/cab franc vegetals, medium flavors. Balanced an excellent. Tn: 86-87.

Nic
AlexR

Re: 2014 Claux Delorme

Post by AlexR »

Valençay, now *there's* a wine you don't see very often.
Good quaffing wine. Light, fruity, moreish.

They also make an AOC cheese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valen%C3%A7ay_cheese

Alex R.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

I have only had red Valency a couple of times. As I recall, a nice summer drink. Light, fruity and a bit spicey. Sort of reminded me of Beaujolais. A lot of French lesser-known wines, when well made (certainly not always the case!) can offer something a bit different for a reasonable price. And there are a mighty lot of them.
AKR

Post by AKR »

We had a mind blowing white Loire the other night. 2014 Fourquet Domain Aubissierres 'Silex' Vouvray.

The SO didn't want any wine, and then she tasted a sip of my glass, at my insistence, and then poured herself a couple of gluggers.

It's off dry, supposedly 9g r/s but has lots of acidity.

There is such lovely brightness in these Loire wines.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

Ah. White Vouvrays can be truly aristocratic. And last forever. Semi-sweet or off-dry. I have some Huets from the 30s which are absolutely superb.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Loire wines are selling well in Québec since few years. people are going back to these fresh, fruity, vegetal well made wines. I would not age that Valençay for long, but some other red like Philippe Alliet Chinon or the Vouvray can surely hold and develop their best with ages.

I brought back a 1995 Vouvray from France in 2012. Surely, I would like to try a Vouvray from the 30's.

Nic