Smith Haut Lafita 2011

JonathanP

Smith Haut Lafita 2011

Post by JonathanP »

Well, well. Great fruit, acidity and good balance. Too young? Probably on the ground, but it really worked at FL410. The best Bordeaux I have tasted on an airline in quite a long time. Maybe even since Cathay were serving the 89/90 Lynch Bages. Too many otherwise good wines do not really work on planes (a combination of cabin pressure and dryness, I imagine) but the SHL was most enjoyable. Worth flying via Doha for. The white Chabls Fourneaux 1er 13 was OK and the Billecqrt Salmon champagne too, but did not stand out.
stefan

Re: Smith Haut Lafita 2011

Post by stefan »

Gosh, I wish I could get such wines in BusinessLast on United.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

Ah Granny Airlines. They are very safe, at least. Second leg on Qatar coming up. Maybe a different wine selection.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Smith Haut Lafitte..
The Cathiards were SO nice to us in France last year.
We need to do events with them, Anabelle Cruse Bardinet, and Alfred Tesseron if they come through NYC in 2017.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

Same wine list for the second leg, but I tried different options. Lanson Brut Rose was not up to much. Preferred the Billecart-Salmon regular Brut earlier. Vouvray Comte de la Boisserie 13 was very good: Plenty of fruit, good acidity and great balance. I suspect chosen to work at altitude, and it did work. For a red, the Losada Vinos de Finca 11 (Mencia grape, according to the blurb) worked very well too. Not the complexity of the Smith Haut Lafite, but well made, balanced and again no problems with the altitude - and something a bit different too. I should have tried the Ch Petit Cedrines 11 Sauternes, but was pretty tired and decided to go to sleep instead. Also not tried: Yealands Estate Landmade Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough (far too many NZ S-B's are green, thin and rather pointless, in my opinion) and a St Hallett Faith (no doubt a bag, brash Aussie fruit bomb, with high alcohol).