NYT on 2011 vintage

JonathanP

Re: NYT on 2011 vintage

Post by JonathanP »

I must confess to feeling a little deserted by Bordeaux when the prices seemed to be going up by leaps and bounds year-after-year, ostensibly driven by the huge demand emerging economies. There was much talk at the time that the Chateaux were deserting their long-standing customers, who would consistantly buy year-in-year-out, which they dismissed and are now seeing the result of their approach. I would regularly buy a couple of cases of the first growths and a fair deal more, now it is only a six pack. That having been said, there does remain excellent wines at pretty fair prices lower down, but with the big names now so expensive I started to switch to Burgundy and, to a lesser extent, the Rhone.
jckba

Re: NYT on 2011 vintage

Post by jckba »

I think Eric Asimov has failed to understand that upon release the 2011 Bdx wines were wildly overpriced in part due to 2 factors; the run up in astronomical pricing following the 2009/2010 vintages and the fact that at that point in time the Euro was still quite strong. If SHL or Montrose, 2 of the wines that were reviewed favorably in the article were released somewhere between $40 to $50 per btl then I think that they would have then solicited some interest.