TN: 1990 Léoville Las Cases

Rudi Finkler

TN: 1990 Léoville Las Cases

Post by Rudi Finkler »

This is a beauty, flawless and seamless, perfectly balanced, with irresistible elegance.
With its absolutely digestible acidity, this perfectly matured wine is the nicest possible medicine for your stomach and your soul, especially on a dark November night. Oriental spices and dark fruits dominate on the palate, especially black currants, elderberries, and blueberries, but there are also notes of herbs, liquorice, graphite, and iodine. A delicious hint of very ripe plums combined with cinnamon lingers on the long lasting, leathery, mineral finish and reminds on the coming Christmas season.
This wonderful Saint-Julien still shows an astonishing freshness. It has gained in subtlety over the last two decades, but I'm missing a bit the 'magic' and 'fire' of the early years. Nevertheless, a lovely blast from the past.
Last edited by Rudi Finkler on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKR

Re: TN: 1990 Léoville Las Cases

Post by AKR »

I've not had this in many years, but it was my favorite vintage of theirs.

All the 1990 Leoville's are just super.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

That's right... The 1990 Las Cases is a bit atypical compared to other vintages, lighter in style, and more 'feminine', so to speak, but absolutely delicate...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks Rudi for that report on a wine I never had, from probably my favorite producer.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Loved it when we had it in NYC last month.