2013 Clos Du Val Cab

William P

2013 Clos Du Val Cab

Post by William P »

Much has been written about this wine of late due to the 94 point rating. I thought I'd give it a go last night. I purchased the wine for $21.

The nose was quite muted. Some flora hints and earth. I suspect with time it will be more forthcoming.
The structure is very nice. Good concentration balanced by enough acid and a dose of tannins. I would not put this in the
over-extracted category but it is medium-full bodied. This should age well over the next five or six years, probably hold for longer.
On the palate, it is dark and rather brooding. Hints of dark fruit, coffee, and earth.
One negative is the 14.1% alcohol. While I didn't feel the heat during consumption, I knew the alcohol was there by the end of the evening. The finish was more than acceptable.

This is a good QPR at $21. At $25 maybe there maybe better Cali and Bordeaux. Nice wine.
AKR

Re: 2013 Clos Du Val Cab

Post by AKR »

I had a bottle over 3-4 days, maybe a year ago. It impressed me, enough to put a few away.

I think it will be like Chappellet with time. Hard to believe.

$21 is a great price for it, some Raleys/BelAir's around here are offering it at/near that.
William P

Post by William P »

Exactly Arv, part of a Bel Air's pick 6.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

2013 Buehler is my QPR pick. They own property on Howell Mtn and it goes into this juice producing a surprising elegant quaff with some air. Will improve but easy to drink now.

EDIT: not thread drifting as I bought some of the 2013 CDV. I like Buehler more at this stage.
William P

Post by William P »

Jay, three people do not create a thread, so there is no drift. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. Hope to see you at the next convention.

Bill