Wines I'm trying to get into my cellar these days….

JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Calon Segur
St. Innocent
Giscours
Cantemerle

What is striking your fancy?

Chris, what's the name of those stores in CT/MA that you shop at, it seems some of them have had the 11, 12, 13 Calon Segur in stock.
Chateau Vin

Re: Wines I'm trying to get into my cellar these days….

Post by Chateau Vin »

Haven't had any recent vintages of CS, although I have 03, 05, 06, 08, 09 and 10 in the cellar. Apart from St Innocent and Cantemerle, I fancy for duhart, older Lafon Rochet, SHL, clos des Epenaux and some loose bottles of barolo.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I guess we will have to discuss about that Jim, in Quebec in November.

:-)

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

This is maybe a good place to mention 2012 SI Fujin again. I received the following write up about it from SI.

>>
This special bottling is comprised of just a single clone of Pinot noir from Momtazi Vineyard; the grapes are harvested from one block that we don’t otherwise use. Eroded and exposed, the vineyard’s steepest hillside forces the Pinot noir to struggle against persistent wind. Thus, it is named after Fūjin: the Japanese god of wind.

Time in a Bottle
Emerging from an extended stay in the cellar – 21 months in barrel and two years in the bottle – this wine requires patience. Only produced in the most pristine vintages, 2008 and 2012, it is an opportunity for Mark to showcase a deviation from his usual approach to winemaking.
>>
stefan

Post by stefan »

I have a ton of SI, a lot of Calon Segur, and am waiting for my 2010 Cantemerle to come in. I have only a few bottles of Giscours but want more. At one time, before its decline in the '80s, it was one of our favorites.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

stefan wrote:This is maybe a good place to mention 2012 SI Fujin again. I received the following write up about it from SI.

>>
This special bottling is comprised of just a single clone of Pinot noir from Momtazi Vineyard; the grapes are harvested from one block that we don’t otherwise use. Eroded and exposed, the vineyard’s steepest hillside forces the Pinot noir to struggle against persistent wind. Thus, it is named after Fūjin: the Japanese god of wind.

Time in a Bottle
Emerging from an extended stay in the cellar – 21 months in barrel and two years in the bottle – this wine requires patience. Only produced in the most pristine vintages, 2008 and 2012, it is an opportunity for Mark to showcase a deviation from his usual approach to winemaking.
>>

Stefan, I was wondering the price of $60 is a fair price for Fujin. For the record, I loved 2012 Momtazi. I understand the style and structure might be different from burgundy, but wondering what the pricing of 60 bucks Fujin compares with a similarly priced burgundy....
AKR

Post by AKR »

I don't really need / have room for more Bordeaux, but I continue to keep my eyes open for older Rhones.

Love the 90, 98, 07 CNDPs, and the 03 and 09/10 Northern Rhones.

Swung by Benchmark and JJ Buckley and took delivery of more of the above today.

I find it much harder to track down Rhones later on.

Bordeaux is readily found if one wants it.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:Wines I'm trying to get into my cellar these days….

Calon Segur
St. Innocent
Giscours
Cantemerle

What is striking your fancy?

Chris, what's the name of those stores in CT/MA that you shop at, it seems some of them have had the 11, 12, 13 Calon Segur in stock.
Total Wine. The West Hartford store probably has better inventory than the Manchester store.
I think there was one each in Manchester, unless they keep more in back.

I work less than 5 miles from the Manchester store. W. Htfd is 15+ miles from me.
I recommend completing the purchase online and selecting pickup in store if you have a specific goal.
Knowing that TW isn't all that "on the ball", it might be worth calling the store to check stock. If you did that, online purchase would be less important.

Manchester Wine and Liquor has a fine wine room but I don't know much about their selection. I buy mostly daily drinkers there.
One of the owners (twins) likes me and suggested we go to a local restaurant (Caveys - worth checking out sometime, really!) and drink some of his old Bordeaux.
stefan

Post by stefan »

CV, I wonder the same thing. Time will tell. My guess is that it will not prove to be a good value. I don't care. I want to compare it to the regular Momtazi in a few years, and for me the QPR aspect is irrelevant at this price. If I paid $120 more for a six pack than it "deserves" (whatever that means), it doesn't matter. I'll deduct it from stefanJr's presumed inheritance.

My advice is: if you love 2012 Momtazi, buy some 2012 Fujin and make sure that you keep some Momtazi to compare to the Fujin in ten years.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I've been on a Beychevelle, Canon and Magdelaine kick for a year or so. When the price is right, there's always room for more Pichon Lalande (most vintages), 95 GPL and 96 Lynch Bages in my cellar too.

I'd love more northern Rhone, but prices are silly.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

stefan wrote:CV, I wonder the same thing. Time will tell. My guess is that it will not prove to be a good value. I don't care. I want to compare it to the regular Momtazi in a few years, and for me the QPR aspect is irrelevant at this price. If I paid $120 more for a six pack than it "deserves" (whatever that means), it doesn't matter. I'll deduct it from stefanJr's presumed inheritance.

My advice is: if you love 2012 Momtazi, buy some 2012 Fujin and make sure that you keep some Momtazi to compare to the Fujin in ten years.
Fair enough...It cracked me up when you talked about stefanjr's presumed inheritance...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

People really like year-round SKIing in places like Vail and Aspen. SKIing = spending kids' inheritance.

We need an acronym for Drinking Kids Inheritance
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Olga raffault
Couley dutheil
Giscours
La sirene de giscours
Reserve de la comtesse
Larrivet haut brion
D'armailhac
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Right now I'm strong on 2010 Chateau Senejac.
I window shop a lot, looking for bargains and specials (ie. whatever catches my eye),
and waiting for general release of 2014 Bordeaux.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I have about as much Bdx as I can handle right now and have plenty of 15' futures on order.

Right now I'm finding myself chasing older vintages of Cali cab mostly from the 80's and early nineties like La Jota Anniversary, Laurel Glen, Seavey, Spottswoode, Montelena, Ridge Monte Bello, and Mondavi Reserve's. Given current pricing it's about the same, if not cheaper, than the current releases and they are also drinking great now. Beyond these I've been trying to slowly wade into moderately priced Burg's. DRC's are out of my league but with the help of friends I've been finding a lot of great wines for well below $100/btl.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

2015 German Riesling Kabinetts.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I bought 6 bottles of the 2014 Momtazi, the 2002 Fujin is n longer available on line. (It was two days ago.) He who hesitates is lost.