2008 Chateau Malartic Lagraviere

Nicklasss

2008 Chateau Malartic Lagraviere

Post by Nicklasss »

After reading the post of Comte Flaneur, why not opening a 2008 tonight?

He seems to rave for the most northern Médoc in 2008, but as I have a few bottles of the Pessac, why not give it a try.

Color is medium dark red. Nose is medium intensity, with elegance, on blackberries, cocoa powder, smoke, light blueberries and light spices. Dusty nose. In mouth, also medium body, with attack on ripe dark berries, light coconut, sweet oak. Mid-palate is light, good acidity, light tannins, final on red berries, currants and dusty minerals. Very good but stay on your appetite. Maybe some herbal mint on the far end final. Tn: 88.

Nic
JimHow

Re: 2008 Chateau Malartic Lagraviere

Post by JimHow »

I've always had a bias against this wine ever since I brought a bottle of the 2000 to a dinner in Boston and SF Ed described it as Parkerized. (And he was right.) I just can't get that characterization out of my head.
AKR

Post by AKR »

They make a blanc too, which is about the same price IIRC.

I've tried their wines a few times over the years, but have never cellared them.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

Personally I never had a bottle before the BWE enablers visited the Chateau in 2005. I liked the reds served and the white was excellant. Since that time I`ve picked up the 03,04,05,06,08. We had the 03 over the weekend (the 3rd of 6 bottles) and it was another pleasant 03 surprise far exceeding 03 expectations. We`ve had the 04 and 05 but they were not close to being in their drinking window however all three vintages I never would have suggested the wines were Parkerized. Loved the traditional Pessac style with leather/ tobacco and cigar box coming through with brambly fruit. The 03 was delicious with resolving tannins and moderate sediment thrown down but certainly not in its peak wheelhouse as of yet. These are still reasonably priced and to me somehat flying under the radar with the Bonnie family having high standards and expectations for the future. Our reception at the estate may have had some influence on my opinion following as I would compare the experience with our 2015 visit to Chateau du Tertre...not wanting to leave either place,with beautiful grounds/gardens/pool/service.....another little piece of Bordeaux heaven!
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

This is not a bad wine, but I preferred the 2012, and even more the 2009, but for the flavors, they were in the same lines as the 2008, but more dense.

Nic
jal

Post by jal »

I loved the 2004
Best

Jacques
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jal,

I've been sitting on my 2004s. Haven't popped a single cork yet. Is the 04 Malartic ready to go or do I still sit for a while. Certainly the 03 was entering an early drinking window but still a ways away from prime time. I'd expect the 04 to be a little slower coming around??
Danny
jal

Post by jal »

I really think that 2003 and 2004 are completely different animals in term of aging. I have had plenty of 2004s and never though that any was too young (ok maybe Haut Brion was not). I think by now I may have finished all my 2004s :-), that vintage to me was always good and ready to be drunk.
Best

Jacques
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Thanks Jal. I'll have to start sampling the 04s. We'll start this week in Charlevoix with a few bottles before hooking up with Nic and MC in Quebec City on our return. Still hoping for a surprise last minute visit from the BD!! ;) Looking forward to next week regardless!!
Danny
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I had the 2002 a while back and it was enjoyable and easy to appreciate and not quite what I was expecting. Very large-scaled.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Large-scaled... Parkerized?
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Plenty of sweetness, plenty of oak, large scaled easy drinking (relative to Bordeaux). You make the judgment call. It was tasty no doubt.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

I had the 2001 last year. A rather unpleasant experience. A jammy, Parkerized nightmare.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I am a big fan of this estate's white wine. Prices have gone up a lot for the blanc in the last decade though.