2011 Montagne St-Emilion

Racer Chris

2011 Montagne St-Emilion

Post by Racer Chris »

On my last visit I picked up a bottle of 2011 Chateau Guillou from my local retailer. This is my first wine from the Montagne St-Emilion appellation.
I have some favorites from Lussac St Emilion already.

I've noticed this wine on their shelf for a while, its even on the website which only shows their most valuable inventory and isn't updated regularly.
So I finally decided to try one since I had an empty space in the mixed case I was getting.
$19.99 + tax.

It was worth it. This is a medium-full bodied St Emilion with good fruit, acidity and tannins.
It developed nicely with air, even better on the second day, and was enjoyable with a variety of food.
Still quite youthful, I think it will age nicely.
89 pts.

On my next visit I'll get a few more and I'll try to provide a more thorough tasting note when I consume the next bottle.
Rudi Finkler

Re: 2011 Montagne St-Emilion

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Thanks for the note!
As for Montagne Staint-Emilion, I have good experiences with Château Roudier, Château Faizeau -Vielles Vignes, and Château Gachon.
AKR

Re: 2011 Montagne St-Emilion

Post by AKR »

I just picked up an 05 Faizeau VV, I've had some other vintages and its reliable.

Montagne St Emilions can be good, but do not seem to keep for a long time.

Disappointed in the 05 Messile Aubert maybe last winter.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... 80&p=46700

Generally I'm only interested in these satellites when the year had lots of sunshine and favorable weather.

Most of the estates just don't have the resources that their prosperous neighbors have.

Roc de Cambes (in the Cotes du Bourg) is an outlier though.