82 Clos Vougeot Mongaerd-Mugneret

JonathanP

82 Clos Vougeot Mongaerd-Mugneret

Post by JonathanP »

At the domaine, following a tasting. Vibrant colour, but slight bricking. Dates and dark fruit on the nose. Silky smooth. Spicey finish. Nice balance. Lovely drinking, but will not improve.
AlexR

Re: 82 Clos Vougeot Mongaerd-Mugneret

Post by AlexR »

Like MM.
Their prices are reasonable, their wines are good.

I bought some Marsannay blanc and Grands Echézeaux when I was there.

AR
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2005 Mongeard-Mugneret Fixin is stunning to me.
I have a few bottles left, as well as their 2005 Echezeaux.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

Jim, tasting the 15s in barrel, they are all excellent. This is definitely a vintage for you to think seriously about if you enjoy their wines. In fact, across the whole of Burgundy (at least the dozen or so domaines Inhave been to) there is great consistency and quality. Great fruit, plenty of acid and above all good balance. I suspect they will drink well young and keep for a long time too.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

What you haven't mentioned, Jonathan (but which you are surely aware of) is the prices!

These have shot through the roof.

In the same way that many people were turned off to Bordeaux great growths when they started costing a bomb, many people are abandoning Burgundy, or else reducing their purchases drastically.
In the Burgundian's defense, they have had to face a series of vintages with low yields.

Alex R.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

Yes, Alex, prices have been creeping up. Burgundy has never been particularly cheap. It is important, however, to differentiate between release prices and secondary market prices. Interestingly, in the cellar at Rousseau, we talked at length about pricing and the concern they have to not price out their wines from longstanding customers who are enjoyers of their wine and will drink it (and return year after year) and avoid a speculative bubble. They have been in the business for a very long time and will still be in it long after we stop drinking.
I suppose value is in the eye of the beholder and, as with Bordeaux, where the very high prices of First Growths encourages a lot of us to look at Second Growths, or instead of Second Growths to look at Fifth Growths or satellite appelations where excellent wine is now being made, in Burgundy many village wines or other villages, such as Volnay, are producing some excellent wines that are not so expensive. Having said that, I think Mongeard wines are not bad value even now, compared with a number of other domaines.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Count me as a fan of Mongeard-Mugneret. Their 2008 Savigny was just glorious, not so long ago when I had it. Very good Bourgogne.

Nic