A couple of DRCs

JonathanP

A couple of DRCs

Post by JonathanP »

After a tasting of the 2015s a the domaine:
1990 Grands Echezeaux: Expansive nose and sweet fruits. Very long finish. Somewhat closed, but got going after a quarter of an hour or so. A great wine that will benefit from signficantly more age.
2000 Batard Montrachet: wonderful exotic aroma. Minerally and great lemony acid and structure. Lingering finish.
Comte Flaneur

Re: A couple of DRCs

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Jonathan thanks for the notes. I have sine 1990 DRC Richebourg which I will hold off from drinking for now.

I didn't know DRC made Batard-Montrachet. I thought the only white they produce is Montrachet..
jckba

Post by jckba »

I think the below winesearcher article covers their holdings quite well:

DRC owns or leases a total of 27.99 hectares (69 acres) of grands crus in Vosne-Romanée, Chassagne-Montrachet and (since 2009) Corton. In order of size, if not necessarily reputation, the vineyards are as follows: La Tâche (6.06 hectares), Romanée Saint-Vivant (5.29), Echézeaux (4.67), Grands Echézeaux (3.53), Richebourg (3.51), La Romanée Conti (1.81), Corton Bressandes (1.19), Le Montrachet (0.68), Corton Clos du Roi (0.57), Corton Renardes (0.51) and Bâtard-Montrachet (0.17). The last of these, which produces all of two barrels, is only consumed at the domaine. Not a bad house white.

http://m.wine-searcher.com/m/2015/01/10 ... -about-drc
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Jonathan,

I once in my life visited DRC and it was very memorable. This was 6 years ago. Yes, we had the Bâtard.
Since then, I have heard that they have a new area in which to receive visitors for tastings.

Alex R.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow!

I have drunk DRC three times:

1993 Echezeaux
1996 Grands Echezeaux
1988 La Tache

It has lived up to expectations each time.
Amazing wines.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

Alex, we did the main tasting of 2015s from barrel in the cellar, which is mainly new under a newly renovated office. The other wines were tasted in the old cellar, which I imagine is where you went. I saw no barrels there, but some stacks of bottles, and a lot of empty space.

As an aside, this afternoon we went down to Aubert de Villain's own domaine to taste the recent vintage, which were excellent. These wines are not expensive, but impeccably made. At the end, a 2009 Bouzeron showed complexity, power, fruit and was by far the best Aligote I have tasted. Not a drop of Creme de Cassis in sight.