Thanksgiving 2016, Day 1

stefan

Thanksgiving 2016, Day 1

Post by stefan »

When I arrived in Berkeley Wednesday afternoon all of the rest of my family were already there. After telling my grandkids the first Baby Monster story, which by now they know almost by heart, I was ready for some liquid nourishment. stefanJr forced us to try 2014 Alesong saison du vin, a sparkling beer based on farm house ale that is conditioned with muscat and aged in used pinot noir barrels. We all agreed that is is interesting but not a beer to drink on a regular basis.

With fromage du Dayton we drank

2014 Eola Hills Winemakers Reserve Pinot Noir. stefanJr says that this is one of the oldest wineries in Oregon. It’s a good value $20 wine that is made for early drinking. stefanJr was surprised to find it apparently has only a Willamette Valley appellation because it tastes like wines that come from the Eola Hills AVA. There is some canned fruit in the mouth that Lucie found objectionable, but then she also did not like the other PNs we drank. stefan 87. stefanJr 88. Irena 87. Lucie 85. Judd 88.

With oysters on the half shell, we drank a couple of bottles of J & T’s house Champagne,

Philippe Prie Brut. This good value Champagne has attractive, up front, in your face sweet apples and good length.

s 88. T 90. I 88. L 90. J 89. sJr “I don’t rate NV fizzy plonk”.

With more of the tasty cheese that was courtesy of Sue and Rob and Judd’s clam chowder we drank

2014 Domaine Drouhin Roserock Pinot Noir. The Roserocks are new Drouhin PNs from the Eola-Amity Hills AVA. The flavor is more intense than that of the Eola Hills wine. “Bright, fraise du bois thing”, comments Judd. “I don’t like either very much”, says Lucie, “canned fruit”. s 89. L 86. I 89. J 87. sJr 89.

2014 Domaine Drouhin Roserock Zephirine Pinot Noir. This is similar to the other Roserock, but more concentrated. Even Lucie did not find canned fruit in this one, but she did say, “No nose; nothing past the entry; vacuous wine”. s 90. L 87. sJr 89. I 89.

With pumpkin pie we drank

2011 Doisy-Vedrines. This hard to find Sauternes is one I like a lot. The 2001 has everything: minerals, enough sweetness, good mixed fruit flavors, and good staying power. s 92+. sJr 93-94.

Happy Thanksgiving to BWEers everywhere from the stefan clan!
Nicklasss

Re: Thanksgiving 2016, Day 1

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy Thanksgiving to the Stefan clan, and wish Lucie a better day 2 for the wines!

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Re: Thanksgiving 2016, Day 1

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Happy thanksgiving stefan, lucie and everyone on BWE...look forward to the next few days of notes...