Thanksgiving 2016, Day 2

stefan

Thanksgiving 2016, Day 2

Post by stefan »

In the late morning on Thanskgiving Day, with ham and cheese sandwiches we drank

2014 Domaine Drouhin Dundee Hills Pinot Noir. This is a big step up from the Drouhin wines we drank the previous night. It has a balanced structure, a pure pinot taste, is good in the mid palate, and there are flavors on the sides. It is surprisingly forward. A bit thin but not watery. “Easily the best pinot we’ve had so far,” observes stefanJr. “Yup,” agrees Judd. stefan 91. Judd 91. stefanJr 91. Lucie 91. Irena 91.

While watching the Cowboys win their tenth in a row we drank

2010 Zivo Eola-Amity Hills AVA Pinot Noir. The otherwise pleasant bouquet has asphalt resulting from residual sulphur. The raspberry taste is tart and has an earthy element that may also be due to sulphur. The finish is bitter. s 86. sJr 88. J 89. I 87. L 88. T 88.

2005 Paul Goerg Brut. This is a new favorite of Lucie and mine. “Yeasty, toasty, old taste; really good,” says stefanJr. “Love it,” chimes in Lucie from the kitchen. “We should be eating food with this,” observes T. “Would have been good to have this with the oysters,” I add. Irena comes into the room and continues this theme with “Yellow flavor; should have food with this.” “I like the fantastic nose,” Lucie says. s 91. sJr 91. T 90. I 91. L 92.

With turkey from Judd’s smoker and all the trimmings we drank

2002 Chehalem Reserve Pinot Noir. Two hours after uncorking the nose opened up. The sweet fruit goes with the cranberries and turkey. “This is one of my favorite Chehalems,” says stefanJr. “Feels hot to me,” comments T. s 91. L 91. I 91. J 90. T 89.

2012 Domaine Drouin Laurene (Dundee Hills) Pinot Noir. “Very primary after the ’02 Chehalem,” says stefanJr. Lucie returns to the Chehalem and comments, “not nearly as good after the young Laurene.” I like them both. The Laurene is primary but open, pure, and lasting. L 91. sJr 91. s 90+. J 91. T 91.

2012 St Innocent Fujin. Corked. Judd, who had never tasted it, liked it despite the flaw. Four of us know that this is a great wine when untainted.

2003 Ridge CA Petite Syrah Dynamite Hill. Powerful spicy nose that is almost overwhelming. Big, up front black fruit. Still very tannic. “I would drink this with popcorn,” says Lucie. Judd says, “I wish we drank more wines like this at Thanksgiving,” and goes on to wish for the Zins we used to drink. L 88. J 93.5. I 90. I found the wine interesting but difficult to rate, as did stefanJr.
William P

Re: Thanksgiving 2016, Day 2

Post by William P »

Not bad Bill, not bad at all. Sorry about the Fujin. Are you going to call the winery?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sometimes a big, spicy wine goes best with all the options on the thanksgiving dinner table. After a Pinot, we moved to a CDP for round too and it stood up better.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

stefan wrote:
2012 Domaine Drouin Laurene (Dundee Hills) Pinot Noir. “Very primary after the ’02 Chehalem,” says stefanJr. Lucie returns to the Chehalem and comments, “not nearly as good after the young Laurene.” I like them both. The Laurene is primary but open, pure, and lasting. L 91. sJr 91. s 90+. J 91. T 91.
Stefan, I have a lone bottle of this 2008 version lurking in my cellar. Wondering what's your take on whether it is ready or need to wait... 2008 Laurene I had 4 years ago seemed to be in hibernation, if I remember correctly..
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Keep them coming stefan. But where are the Bordeaux? A La Lagune will be opened soon?

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

Bill, it was stefanJr's Fujin; mine are resting in Texas. He'll get a replacement from SI if they have any left. If they don't, Mark will give him something else; probably a SS.

CV, I am not familiar with the '08 Laurene. I asked stefanJr, but he also does not know this wine.

Nic, tomorrow is our Bordeaux night. Lucie did take 2002 Leoville-Poyferre to Chez Panisse on Tuesday. She said it was great with lamb and her hosting Parisian friends love it. She said that Alice Waters looked longingly at the bottle from the next table.

Patrick, next year I will bring some Ridge Zins for Judd. Or maybe some CdPs, which he loves.
William P

Post by William P »

So how was Chez Panisse this time?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucie said that Chez Panisse was fabulous, Bill. It's been a while since I ate downstairs there. The last couple of times Lucie and I tried to go it was fully booked by the time we called.