TN: 00 Monbrison [Margaux]

AKR

TN: 00 Monbrison [Margaux]

Post by AKR »

00 Monbrison [Margaux] 12.5% abv, purchased EP, enjoyed over two days, not decanted yet kept improving with air. Clive Coates is a fan of this estate, which has been apparently been under vine since the mid 1700's although their output was not always sold under their name. I've had a few vintages, which were ok, but I've always thought it was a little richly priced for its station. But this was a very good example, and had well repaid cellaring. No sediment in the bottle, but the last glass, as I tap this out, mulling turkey leftovers, is cloudy. None of Stefan's margauxberries but a nice palate of sour cherry fruit, 25 seconds of depth, pipe smoke on the nose, and despite all these years -- still a smidge of drying tannin left. My SO loved it and drank up a big portion of the bottle, which is unusual for her. This has delivered pretty much everything one would expect from this kind of wine, and years cellar time. That being said, I would not wait on these any more. It's not cracking up, but its starting to lighten up at the edges, and its in a good spot, so I suggest consumption of this refined, polite Margaux. I'd give it a B+ or so, that's pretty good.

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: TN: 00 Monbrison [Margaux]

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

The 2005 is very strong. In every sense.