Thanksgiving 2016, Day 4

stefan

Thanksgiving 2016, Day 4

Post by stefan »

When our Parisian friends came by at 4 PM we drink NV Nicolas Feuillatte and Billecart-Salmon. The NF came in a fancy looking bottle that was labelled “limited edition” but it tasted to me like the usual NF. Judd particularly liked the B-S.

With our dinner of flank steak and pommes frites we finally drank Bordeaux.

2001 Pichon-Lalande. This is a good rather than great P-L. It is well-balanced and soft with sufficient tannins and is firm in the mid palate. Irena says, “This is a good wine.” “But a bit thin for a P-l,” adds stefanJr, and I agree. “Oh, so good,” chimes in T. stefan 90. Lucie 90. stefanJr 90. Judd 91. Irena 91. T 95.

After reading recent BWE reports on other 2001s, I wonder if 2001 Bdx is in something of a dumb phase.

1990 Rausan-Segla. The has all the good characteristics of 1990 Bdx; a sweet, slightly burnt taste, big but balanced, sticky finish. Some tobacco has developed. Judd says, “I think I like the P-L better.” s 92. J 90. T91. I 90. L 92. sJr 92.

2008 Vieux Chateau Certan. Judd goes crazy over this even though it is still primary and closed. He says, “It is very sophisticated; just restrained.” “What about the thinness,” I ask, and stefanJr clarifies, “the hollowness in the mid palate.” Lucie chimes in, “The finish goes on forever.” I want to revisit the VCC in five years. It is probably 10 years to its maturity. s 89++. L 91. J 92. I 90.

2009 Rabaud Promis. This attractive young Sauternes has limestone, mandarine, honey, basil, and more. It is very, very young. s 90++.
Nicklasss

Re: Thanksgiving 2016, Day 4

Post by Nicklasss »

Finally Some red Bordeaux opened in Oregon!

I almost brought the 2001 Chateau Pichon Lalande to Québec City, for the dinner with dstgolf and jimhow, but changed my mind at the last minute for a 2011 Chateau Calon Segur instead...

I had the 1990 Chateau Rauzan- Ségla once with dstgolf in Ottawa, and that bottle was probably one of the best bottle of 1990 R- S because it hold itself pretty well facing dstgolf's 1990 Chateau Pichon Baron...

Nic
dstgolf

Re: Thanksgiving 2016, Day 4

Post by dstgolf »

Stefan,

You may have something there on the 2001 vintage. The Las Case that we had Friday was tight as a drum upon opening but it surely came into its own as the night went on. I didn't have as much success with a Certain de May and Angelus last year though and felt the same way that they both needed more time.

Nic,

The 90 R-S and Pichon Baron were but delicious back then but again the company or dining in a haunted house may have had some influence!!
Danny