2013 Ridge Geyserville

Nicklasss

2013 Ridge Geyserville

Post by Nicklasss »

Dark red. Nose is perfumed, with smoke, sweet oak, spices, some zin acid and sweet red berries, a blue fruits note and cola. Mouth is very fruity, with again some light cola flavors, mixed with dark red cherries. Long and with good acids. Tannins and something like grainy berries. Still very young, but full of promises. Tn : 91+. Very long cola/ginger/acid sweet berry finish.

Nic
JCNorthway

Re: 2013 Ridge Geyserville

Post by JCNorthway »

Thanks for reporting on this, Nic. I'm not surprised it still tasted very young. I have found that I need to give them about 10 years before they mellow out and lose some of the new oak flavors that I do not like when they are young. We drank a 2004 Geyserville last week for Thanksgiving, and it was showing really well. It was one of the bottles that was completely empty at the end of the meal.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

It is more dense now, with more black fruit. The oak is still there, but on an exotic way.

You're right JCNorthway, 2013 Geyserville will be even better in 7-10 years. But really excellent at this moment, while listening Santana's Caravanserai vinyl LP.

I still have some 2001 Lytton Spring, that I hope i will be tempted to open soon.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2001 Lytton Springs is drinking well now, Nic.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I've loved this since release and have a case left but might pick up a another just so I have a shot at enjoying this in 10 years.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Love the 2013 and I would also recommend the 2014....a bit more carignan than past vintages but very Geyser-like. Also, I really liked the 2013 Lytton Springs. Both 2013 Geyserville and Lytton are a return to a drier style.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nice update. This is basically the only Zinfandel like blend I will ever buy.

LIke others here, I prefer them after they have deburred their edges after a few years.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Another bottle last Friday, of the 2013 Ridge Geyserville with similar comments and TN. But I notice an extra black cocoa powder aromas that was a nice addition to the slready complete mix.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Love, love this wine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2013 Ridge Zin Lytton Springs at $29.00?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:2013 Ridge Zin Lytton Springs at $29.00?
Very good price. I prefer geyserville, but hard to go wrong with Lytton Springs at that price in a strong year.
stefan

Post by stefan »

An easy buy at $29, Jim.
finner

Post by finner »

Someone had mentioned the 2013's having a drier style. The 2013 Ridge Pagani is anything but dry. A throwback late harvest style that hits on all cylinders today. A substantial portion of Alicante in that one too.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I had a bottle of the 2013 Ridge Geyserville over the last 3 nights. Tightly wound up the first night, but started to show its depth and interest by the last night. Lots of bramble notes on the nose, and the alcohol and wood are harmonious now. It doesn't have the orchestra of flavors going on yet, but perhaps a few more years will render more complexity. Feels low acid, fleshy to me - so enjoy while reading a book or working in the kitchen. I only drink maybe 2-3 bottles of zin like things a year - usually only Ridge / Siduri's Novy / Dashe sometimes.
Claret

Post by Claret »

A coworker and I were tasting some 16 Trader Joe's Bordeaux which was mostly Merlot during a short break in our auction. Second recent taste on this one and it was a winner for under $10, an Alex kind of wine. Tasting of soil with good texture and nice fruit we both agreed it was a fine value for drinking now.

Then the conversation shifted to Zin and started with Ridge and ended with Rafanelli. I told Scott I want to like Zin but too many are just overdone for my taste.

Speaking of our Americana auction today I was on the phone with a whale bidder who spent $27000 plus 25% juice on rare antique Michigan copper mining stocks from a fabled collection. Two other hitters were playing for these too. Some of them are the earliest and possibly only known examples of American mining stocks. The oldest one was around 1835. One stock went for surely a world record $5400! They have no financial value just as a rare and desirable collectible. I was on the podium for about 1 hour on Thursday, what a fun job.
Glenn
AKR

Post by AKR »

I bought some ancient stock in our brokerage firm employer many years ago as a gift for a colleague when he got promoted. Strange how something that was worthless in economic value still had a $100 of numismatic value.

Rafanelli also makes some good zin, I guess Rosenblum and Ravenswood too. I seem to remember the rule of R's.

But at the end, its not a lighter grape, and that's what I'd rather buy given that so much of my existing stock is big full heavy wines.