TN 2001 Ch. Giscours, Margaux

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 2001 Ch. Giscours, Margaux

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Solid wine needs a little more time (+/- 3-5 years) imo to be at a peak early maturity. Interesting to compare it to the 2002 Gloria as we had about a glass left over. The Giscours is a bit bigger, more solid, and a bit less receptive on approach. But it is classically styled Bordeaux which has definitely filled out in the years since the last bottle. Nothing out of place either at this point as it appears well-integrated. Just the right level of ripeness and concentration, nicely balanced acidity, needs to work off some earthy tannin. Should last a considerable time under reasonable cellaring. For the $30 or I believe I paid a few years after release it's good QPR. What did it taste like? Well it was good, one of those wines where I can't say any particular flavors jumped out at me but it was good. I think it's been consistent in my experience that the 2002s are maturing faster than the 2001s.
jckba

Re: TN 2001 Ch. Giscours, Margaux

Post by jckba »

Thanks for the data point Art as I have 1/2 a case left of this ...
AKR

Re: TN 2001 Ch. Giscours, Margaux

Post by AKR »

Amazing price for Giscours. I'd expect with NM's praise and presumed TLC for them going forward, they'll be getting a few more suitors for their cellars.