2007 Cos d'Estournel, 2007 Clos des Quatre Vents

Rudi Finkler

2007 Cos d'Estournel, 2007 Clos des Quatre Vents

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Flawless, super elegant, and excellently balanced, the 2007 Clos des Quatre Vents offers all the fragrance, delicacy and refinement one might expect from a classically styled Margaux -even in a 'weaker' vintage. The fruit -sour cherry and black currant dominate on the palate- is not as overwhelming as the fruit of the Cos d'Estournel, but with time in the glass, it becomes more complex and nuanced. There is enough acidity to keep the dry finish fresh and vibrant, and to ensure this wine's longevity in the cellar. In style and dimension, this charming Margaux, 12,5% alcohol, closely resembles the 2007 Ferrière we had recently. A wine for purists.

Given the difficult vintage conditions, the 2007 Cos d'Estournel is marvellous concentrated and initially has everything I look for in a top left bank claret. The nose is deeply perfumed with aromas of dark fruits, wood smoke, cedar, pencil lead, licorice, leather, and spices. There is a sweet earthiness on the palate that emphasizes the delicious, exuberant fruit, with background notes of toasted oak, and chocolate. This Saint-Estèphe, 13,5% alcohol, is a relatively successful combination of traditional style and new school. Relatively, because of one obvious, structural weakness: Its low acidity. With time and increasing temperature in the glass, the wine begins to fall apart a little bit, and the toasted oak as well as a hint of unpleasant jammy fruit come to the foreground.
AKR

Re: 2007 Cos d'Estournel, 2007 Clos des Quatre Vents

Post by AKR »

It sounds like these need consumption?
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

As for the Margaux, there certainly is enough potential for further development. This does not apply for the Cos d'Estournel. On day two, the Clos the Quatre Vents showed great complexity and linearity, and was absolutely captivating last night, whereas the Cos has lost much of its appeal. I think that the Cos is unlikely to improve, so I would drink it up over the next two or three years.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I have an unopened case of 2007 Montrose which is the only red wine I took a flyer on from the 2007 vintage and mostly b/c I got it for what now seems like a silly price for a second growth at $518/case via Frederick Wildman's brokerage inventory. Anyways the above 07 Cos note is going to prompt me to pop a btl to see where this wine is at ...
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I've consumed a few bottles of '07 Larose Trintaudon this year. It's in a prime drinking window right now, maybe good for a few more years.
I know its not in the same category, but the chateau is only 15 minutes south of Cos d'Estourel.
I would expect the Margaux to be the better wine in that vintage.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The Montrose price is like something out of the early 90's.

2007 is a year I want to mark with some wines to lay down, but stuck to Rhone, CA,, a few ports, and (surprisingly) Tuscany/Piedmont.

It was solid / good in parts of Italy, but that was probably not so well recognized at the time. Sauternes was good too but I have very few from that year, and its always been pricier than comparable quality vintages. I don't know maybe it was a short crop or something.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Arv - I think that was exactly the problem with all 2007 Bdx, they were simply priced too high given the lackluster press.