2004 Malescot St. Exupery

JimHow

2004 Malescot St. Exupery

Post by JimHow »

Cracked open the case, popped, and poured. Still very youthful. Deep, dark purple/black color. The bouquet bloomed beautifully. It borders on a "big" wine to me. Earthy, has the type of edge to it that we would come to expect from the 2004 vintage. It seems like a nice merging between traditional and modern Margaux. Hopefully I'll be able to hold off on the remaining 11 bottles and drink them over the next 15 years or so. Rating: 93 points.
Comte Flaneur

Re: 2004 Malescot St. Exupery

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the note Jim. I have a case of this and if you find it young, I will let my case sleep some more.

If you tasted this blind would you (a) recognise this as Bordeaux and (b) recognise it as Margaux? I ask because in my experience this estate very much errs to a modern style.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes Ian it is definitely young and modern. But I'm pretty sure I would recognize it as Bordeaux, from the nose and the color alone. I find the purple of Margaux and its surroundings to be quite distinctive. This wine has a Cantemerlishness about it, I wonder how far apart the two properties are. Very enjoyable wine. Something a little different from what I've been drinking lately.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I liked that wine very much in the past. And yes it's bordering a "big" style, especially for a vintage like 2004. None left for me but I think my brother have one bottle left.

Nic
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Pretty sure I have a bottle or two of this. Or maybe it's the 2002.