2012 La Fleur de Bouard revisited.

JimHow

2012 La Fleur de Bouard revisited.

Post by JimHow »

Brought a bottle of this to a law firm holiday party last night. It was really singing. I have had this wine numerous times in the past year and it has never disappointed. Order six more bottles today to add to what I have in my cellar. I don't see this as a big long term ager but why wait. Two enthusiastic thumbs up. Rating: 93 points.
Rudi Finkler

Re: 2012 La Fleur de Bouard revisited.

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Thanks for the nice note, Jim! As long as the alcohol content does not exceed 13,5%, I'm always willing to buy this impressive Lalande de Pomerol. Last year, I finished a case of 2001 La Fleur de Boüard. I opened the first bottle in 2004 or 2005, and since that time each bottle was splendid. I wish I had bought more than one case.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll have to check the alcohol level Rudi but I haven't noticed it at all. This is excellent quality for the price.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Some how a 1998 got lost and I must have opened that in the last year or two. Other than the massive sedimentation it was still very good. Probably better a touch younger, but enough power to keep well.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I had another bottle of the 2012 La Fleur de Bouard tonight. It was wonderful as usual. My bottle states 13.5% alcohol. I was a big fan of the 2000 but I think those are long gone.

Chris Bublitz
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Color me curious. Very.

I recently won a bottle of the 98 for $21, I may have to give that one a whirl soon.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I must seek some out. I was reading Wine Cellar Insider and I couldn't help noticing that Jeff is somewhat lukewarm about this wine.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I know Jeff was a little lukewarm on 2012 La Fleur Bouard but Robert Parker gave it 91 points in his 2015 review and said - "This is a gorgeous opaque, ruby/purple Lalande de Pomerol that no one will be able to resist." Prominent DC wine aficionado Kevin Shin gave it 92 points and said - "Oak, coffee, blue fruits, cassis, silky and creamy palate, excellent concentration and good finish."

I know everyone has there own unique sense of taste. All I can say is this stuff tastes really good to me. Every time I open a bottle it disappears very quickly. I don't think it's a "great" wine, just very good and very pleasant to drink anytime. In DC, 375s are $15 making it an easy purchase.

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have drunk about four 750s and about 18 half bottles of this wine. I have yet to be disappointed. It is a really nice easy wine that consistently hits a low-90s spot for me.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Last night, my neighbour came in and we opened a bottle of 2006 La Fleur de Boüard. Supple, mouth filling, and relatively opulent, with a core of jammy dark fruit, vanilla, and oriental spices. Agreeable acidity, but the spicy finish is simply too short. The alcohol, 14%, is a bit masked by the superficial fruit and the sweet oak. All in all, an unmistakable modern claret. Miles away from the complex, elegant, and excellently balanced 2001. Not overly appealing to me.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Comte Flaneur wrote:I must seek some out. I was reading Wine Cellar Insider and I couldn't help noticing that Jeff is somewhat lukewarm about this wine.
I am not so sure that 90 Pts is lukewarm. It is a very nice wine, a little oaky, and in 2012, like many wines, it can be a bit short, but it is well priced, has character and is easy to drink. You can read all the details : http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... de-bouard/

Another comment as I am online and have time, the comments about wine needs to be below 13.5%, that s just silly, You actually need to taste the wine and determine if it tastes unbalanced, hot, or whatever. Merlot ripens at a higher degree of alcohol and that is what takes place in the Right Bank. If you want low alcohol levels, drink Cabernet Sauvignon based Left Bank wines, or Riesling.