Lawyers and wine

JimHow

Lawyers and wine

Post by JimHow »

Last night we had our annual party of about 50 lawyers, court clerks, a judge or two, court personnel, etc.
As usual, I brought the wine.
I brought 9 bottles, there wasn't a drop left by the end of the evening, even though there was lots of beer there as well.
I put on a presentation for some of the younger lawyers, we even had a half dozen assistant district attorneys there, the JimHow wine tasting is becoming an annual event, I think this is the sixth year in a row I have brought the wine.

2012 Vieux Telegraphe: Way too young, but opened up by the end of the night.
2012 La Fleur de Bouard: One of the favorites of the night, a couple of the young DAs said it was their favorite.
2014 St. Innocent Momtazi: Surprise, surprise, this was one of the wines of the night as well. So deliciously drinkable now!
2004 Malescot St. Exupery: Again, they didn't "get it" at first but, with air, it went down fast.
2012 Corbin: Tony Ferguson (who was on our France '15 trip) and I raised a glass of this forward, friendly wine in fond memory of our visit there last year.
2012 Felsina Berardenga Riserva: You really can't go wrong with a nice Chianti at an event like this.
2012 and 2005 Haut Bergey: Along with the 2012 Barde Haut, I opened these last after the first six were finished. These wines were splendid, crowd pleasers, I really had the crowd experiencing the chalk and stones and gravel.
2012 Barde Haut: I opened this last and, honest to goodness, it was emptied in like five minutes. This wine is really spectacular, especially for the $26 price.

A great end of year bash!
Nicklasss

Re: Lawyers and wine

Post by Nicklasss »

Say hello to Tony.

Sorry for them that you opened only 2 Bordeaux, Malescot and Haut Bergey.

But there are so many good wines out there, made all around the World, like Southern Rhône (grenache), Oregon (pinot noir), Tuscan (sangiovese) and even the Libournais is making acceptable wines today with lesser grape like merlot.

Nic
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I'm sure that you have fun doing this. And I bet the young lawyers learn a lot while they are having fun. When I think back to my "introduction" to Bordeaux wines, it happened because we were invited to dinner by a couple, and the husband was a big buyer and drinker of Bordeaux wines. That was an eye-opening evening for me.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha ha Nic. You are a funny guy.
Jon it is indeed fun to make these presentations, usually they are very captive audiences.
stefan

Post by stefan »

50 at a BWE event would only have gone through ten or eleven times as many bottles, so your lawyer friends did pretty well. You chose very well for the group, except for the too challenging VT, which you have held for the 2026 party. This is a great line up to prove that you can drink very well without mortgaging your house.

Why were you surprised that the 2014 SI Momtazi was one of the favorites? It is a wine that pleases both geeks and neophytes. I'll bet that, tasted blind, even HM$ and MichaelP would like it.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Wow what a bunch of light weights. 9 bottles for 50 people that's what Tim Ian and I had in London for the three of us. Now if it was 50 bottles for 9 people I could relate! :lol:

Sounds like you had a good time regardless.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes I was being sarcastic about the St. Innocent Stefan, it did not surprise me at all that it was the first bottle emptied, it usually is.
A good time indeed, we're lucky, we have a great bar up here.
And the lawyers are okay, too.
tim

Post by tim »

dstgolf wrote:Wow what a bunch of light weights. 9 bottles for 50 people that's what Tim Ian and I had in London for the three of us. Now if it was 50 bottles for 9 people I could relate! :lol:

Sounds like you had a good time regardless.
In fairness, we had some leftovers for MEK the next night...
AKR

Post by AKR »

Very nice spectrum of wines
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice wines.

Nothing wrong with moderation... in moderation. I'm sure Jim doesn't want to risk his colleagues' tickets being punched for DUI on the way home after the party.
jal

Post by jal »

A very Old World leaning tasting, with the exception of Momtazi. I found that in Florida, everyone drinks California, Argentina, Chile, with very little Old World consumed. Every time I bring a French or Italian wine it gets drunk as quaff and I doubt anyone really appreciates it, a presentation is a great idea.
Best

Jacques
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Nice event Jim. You can also spice it up with some blind tasting questionnaire and give some prizes to make it interesting.

We do an annual festival with 5 blind wines with white, red and fortified ones. There is a questionnaire asking each wine, the name, region, varietal, etc. worth each point. Since everyone is a neophyte, we also have cryptic descriptions also. At the end, the questionnaire is collected, scores are tallied, and 3 prizes and a grand prize are announced. The prizes are wine related, such as opener, wine glass pack, even an everyday quaffer wine with grand prize of something a bit more. Everybody loves this event every year.