Costco Pichon Baron 2005

William P

Costco Pichon Baron 2005

Post by William P »

Costco is discounting the 2005 PB. Price on-line is $80.00. That seems to be a fair price. I picked up two since I am lite on 2005 Bords. Also has Figeac for $70.00.
SteveH

Re: Costco Pichon Baron 2005

Post by SteveH »

Bill, My concern from Costco would be storage. Have these wines been baking on the store shelf since release? Maybe your Costco is nicely air conditioned, but the stores in Mass. are notably hot, and the wines are located near the main front doors. I did buy plenty of 2000 Bordeaux from Costco... but I was sleeping in the parking lot to get right in early. Those 2000 scramble days are memorable. We raided with military precision.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Bill, I hope that you and the missus are well. Susan and I enjoyed meeting you both in SFO two years ago.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I remember you getting me six bottles of 2000 Leoville Barton at a really low price, Steve. I recall drinking one of the bottles in a little village on the west coast of the Baja peninsula a couple weeks later with some fresh fish, I was in heaven on Earth. Don't ever let anyone tell you that red Bordeaux doesn't match with fish!
William P

Post by William P »

Well, just an quick update, I received my two bottles. Look to be in fine condition and they were cool to the touch when I opened the box. I'll set these inside the cellar and wait about 10 years.

Howdy Steve, any plans for a 2009 SF trip? Let us know and I'll try to come to SF to share a bottle with you. Our best to Susan.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I haven't heard a lot of complaints about cooked Costco wines, but indeed any bottle that's been around for a few years may be suspect. Then again, I've never been sure how high temps have to get to cut into the peak that a nice Bdx can acheive. Some say these are pretty hardy wines (at least compared to Champagne) and can handle a few weeks or months in the 70s, maybe even the high 70s, with no problem. Others say that those temps can trim the top off the heights that the wines will eventually acheive, and that's why bottles often taste better in Europe. Though I don't think Europe is a guarantee against poor storage either. My gut feeling is that we obsess excessively about storage and transport conditions for newly released wines, but there are always stories about stuff sitting on loading docks sweltering in the summer...
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Bill, Our SF friends will be joining us on our Nantucket week this summer. I am, however, due for client visits in our favorite U.S. city. Thanks for the idea. If we go, we must pop corks with you again. Best.