A few clarets before the turn of the year

Rudi Finkler

A few clarets before the turn of the year

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Another pleasurable evening with friends, kohlrabi crème soup, salmon tart, beef roulade, champagne, and a few nice clarets...
The 2006 Réserve de la Comtesse stood out for its alluring nose, Haut-Bailly's elegant 2004 la Parde for its nuanced, seductive fruit, and the 1999 Fontenil for its wonderful harmony and balance. The qualities of these three wines, taken together, would result in a perfect wine.
To mention the petty foibles: The oak of the Réserve is a bit too assertive, La Parde has lost a bit of its vigour, and the fruit of the Fontenil lacks a bit complexity.

BTW, tonight a 1990 Rausan-Ségla. A note will follow next year.
JimHow

Re: A few clarets before the turn of the year

Post by JimHow »

Well done, Rudi, and happy new year!
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Happy New Year, Jim!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice report Rudi.

I had the 1990 Chateau Rauzan Ségla once, with dstgolf, and it was a marvellous wine, just next to the 1990 Chateau Pichon Baron that same night. It was in 2006 or 2007, we did not had kids at this time.

Will wait your report to see how it ages.

Nic
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

If the dense, tightly packed 1986 is the most 'masculine' Rausan-Ségla I ever had, then this graceful 1990 is the most 'feminine'. The gorgeous, subtle, floral and spicy fragrance of this wine, and the incredibly complex combination of aromas and flavours miraculously change from sip to sip like an iridescent pearl oyster. This Rausan-Ségla has all ingredients we can expect from a top Margaux in abundance, even a hint of port-like sweetness. There is an elegance, balance, delicacy, and fragility to die for. Even the seamless 1990 Las Cases we had in November, cannot quite keep up with this nectar. However, after two hours, the wonderful last sip suggests that this wine is approaching the end of its lifespan. So, if you are a lucky owner of this wine, drink it up over the next few years before it will gently fade away.

Happy New Year to all of you!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sounds wonderful. I Howed my 1990s, they were just irresistible. Wish I had more restraint but they sure were good.