1996 Ch. Pavie Macquin

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

1996 Ch. Pavie Macquin

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I feel like this achieved its full potential some time ago. The three or four bottles of this I've had (and I believe last nights was the last one) have been more or less the same. When I say achieved its full potential, the wine has always been pretty austere, dry, getting along on average fruit (at best) and acidity and tannin. Seems to be drying out on the end. Quite a contrast to the prior evening's Ceretto Barbaresco, the P-M did well with the steaks but was not terribly interesting. All in the dark, earthy, twigs and crushed oak leaves way.
Blanquito

Re: 1996 Ch. Pavie Macquin

Post by Blanquito »

I had the 95 P-M recently and your note on the 96 captures its essence as well.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Should I open my 2006 sooner than later? The 1996, not the greatest vintage for Right Bank, seems away, and this with only 20 years old.

Ah well.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ok, funny. Tonight, I defrosted the remaining half bottle of the 95 I froze a fortnight ago-- as mentioned, the first half wasn't much to write home about being low on charm and high on austerity. Well, the second half is much better with much better fruit. It's still old school and tastes more like a cab, but it's quite nice.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Not sure how much potential there is in the 1996, but at one point we had the 1989 and 1990, and those were awesome. Basically proved why the good years can be held for a long time. I have very few P-M's of any years left, though.

They made a surprisingly good 1997 IIRC.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

It was an OK wine that remained so throughout 20 years, apparently. I have very slim experience with '96 RBs. The '95 RBs would seem to be much better overall. But this is not an occasion to despair. Not bad and I wan't expecting a whole lot.