2008 Moulin Saint-Georges, 2009 Fonbel

Rudi Finkler

2008 Moulin Saint-Georges, 2009 Fonbel

Post by Rudi Finkler »

More old school than modern, the 2008 Moulin Saint-Georges offers the whole range of delicious dark fruits, herbs, and oriental spices we may expect from a high class claret. The deep, complex, fruity nose is enticingly layered with spice and liquorice, same on the palate, and the deep, blackberry dominated finish lingers on and on. Not to mention the elegant, silky tannins and the delicious minerality. Simply irresistible to me. The whole package at 13% alcohol.

Usually, Fonbel is a little more 'rustic' than its stable mate, but not so the 2009. Very dark, rich, and opulent, with a lovely floral persistence, this is the most elegant Fonbel I ever had. Nice notes of cedar and plums, delicate tannins, and an long leathery, minerally finish. Surprisingly approachable already. 13,5% alcohol.

I can hardly think of two other wines that are more appropriate to disavow the Saint-Emilion Classification than Moulin Saint-Georges and Fonbel.
AKR

Re: 2008 Moulin Saint-Georges, 2009 Fonbel

Post by AKR »

Surprisingly in like 20 years I've may only seen an MsG brought to a tasting once, at some St Em panel we did a long time ago. It's too bad that more don't try this nice wine.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

The '08 Fonbel is a very dark, strong and serious wine.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Indeed, too bad, AKR, but only about 3000 cases are produced per annum, and Moulin Saint-Georges was never hyped by Parker and such like, which is in no way a disadvantage for us. Considering the excellent quality, prices are still very, very reasonable.