So is this a buy or ... ?

jckba

So is this a buy or ... ?

Post by jckba »

So I wanted to start a thread with the above subject b/c there are times after receiving an email offer where I start to question whether or not this is really a deal and if I should in fact pull the trigger. And I figured that with the wealth of knowledge right here on this board, that this would be as good a place as any to have a thread dedicated to debating and to answering that very question time and time again.

So I will start this off, this morning I received an offer for two classic 2008 Bordeaux's from the Wine Connection where they had 3 cases of each of the 2008 Ducru Beaucaillou for $1,299 and 2008 Montrose for $1,059 up for offer. I was interested in the latter and while this is the 1st time I have seen it for less than $100/per btl in quite a while (though at present there are 5 shops at $100 or less in the US according to paying wine-searcher), due to the positive press it received from participants in Panos recent Montrose vertical ( http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... e#p2199281 ) I am thinking that now might be a good time to add to my stock of this wine, so, is this a buy or ... ?
JimHow

Re: So is this a buy or ... ?

Post by JimHow »

I think the 2008 Montrose is outstanding.
He Who Shall Remain Nameless gives it 95 points.
MacArthur's sells it for $99.
At that price it is a solid BUY.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

JC

When I tasted this I went straight and and got a case. It is anomalously cheap. It is not far behind the 2010 which seeks for three times more

Ian
jckba

Post by jckba »

Thanks for the quick responses and that was exactly the kinds of additional positive feedback I was looking for and I have since pulled the trigger on a case purchase, now I just have to wait and see if I get filled ;)

So I think the above illustrates how this thread should be used and hopefully it will prove to be useful and will provide good intel on any number of wine(s) that any of us might be interested in.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

MacArthur's is sold out at $99. I remember having three bottles that I got in NH for like $95 several years back, I really, really thought it was a superb wine.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The last 4-5 'deals' I've been sent by emails, after some perusal, seem to have nothing really of scarcity/interest/value.

Kind of surprising really. Even from places claiming its their once a year sale or whatever.

There doesn't seem to be any end to 2010 offers on trophy wines, but

a) I don't think 100 pt wines are worth what they used to be - there are an awful lot of them out there
b) I think a lot of them got held back in various selling channels, expecting some magical capital gains, which have been slow to materialize
c) The incremental cost of the 'best' vintage for a great estate versus a merely excellent one seems far too wide at this young age

Also new WA came out yesterday, and somewhere in there Lisa Perotti Brown MW published a denunciation of the Bordeaux futures market.

Nothing that folks here have not felt for a number of years I think.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

They have 2012 Montrose here for $89
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

AKR wrote:The last 4-5 'deals' I've been sent by emails, after some perusal, seem to have nothing really of scarcity/interest/value.

Kind of surprising really. Even from places claiming its their once a year sale or whatever.

There doesn't seem to be any end to 2010 offers on trophy wines, but

a) I don't think 100 pt wines are worth what they used to be - there are an awful lot of them out there
b) I think a lot of them got held back in various selling channels, expecting some magical capital gains, which have been slow to materialize
c) The incremental cost of the 'best' vintage for a great estate versus a merely excellent one seems far too wide at this young age

Also new WA came out yesterday, and somewhere in there Lisa Perotti Brown MW published a denunciation of the Bordeaux futures market.

Nothing that folks here have not felt for a number of years I think.
"Denunciation" is the new killing it.
AKR

Post by AKR »

So I rarely buy/drink Burgundy....thoughts on the 2005 Leroy Bourgogne base wine for $35 ?

It's at HDH, and they have lots.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Never had one of any vintage.
Leroy's famous.
2005 is supposed to be great.
$35 sounds reasonable.
If I were still buying wine, I'd take a flyer on a few bottles, and I'm not a Burghead.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

2012 is $89 local
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

HDH no longer ships to Colorado via common carriers, I'm told. I'd check where CA stands with IL.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Thanks guys. I'll give them a call. I was worried about that shipping issue. Don't have much sitting there at the moment though.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

DavidG wrote:Never had one of any vintage.
Leroy's famous.
2005 is supposed to be great.
$35 sounds reasonable.
If I were still buying wine, I'd take a flyer on a few bottles, and I'm not a Burghead.
Ditto.