TN: 2013 Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva Marchese

JimHow

TN: 2013 Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva Marchese

Post by JimHow »

I don't have any big profound notes on this wine. The bottle last night was splendid. Delicious ripe fruit, seems to have a beautiful balance, no sharp tannins. I bought this on recommendations from here on BWE. Can anyone enlighten me on this wine? What have been your experiences with it? What are your experiences with the 2013 vintage in Italy? I have one bottle left in the cellar. I see MacArthur's lists four bottles left at $38, is that a buy or no buy?
jal

Re: TN: 2013 Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva Marchese

Post by jal »

This is my favorite Chianti. Pappadoc turned me on to this years ago and I buy a couple of bottles every vintage. I still have a couple of 2004s that are going strong.
I believe the name has changed to Tenuta Tignanello Chianti Classico for some reason.
If you like it, buy it but I wouldn't buy too many bottles. The new vintages seem to be just as delicious as the older ones, it is widely available and I don't think the mild improvement from aging justifies taking up space in a cellar.
Best

Jacques
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

Jacque hit the nail on the head. In my experience Chianti's don't age with grace ie don't improve with age. The Antinori Marchese is one at the top of the heap along with Monsanto and I also enjoyed Ricasoli Castello di Brollio along with others from this stable. To me Chianti is drink me now with a pizza/pasta and I don't think you have to go to the top of the heap to enjoy chianti's and the majority that I pick up now are the sub $20 range simple wine's as they just don't move me like others to spend the extra dollars to try and find that special bottle. Maybe they are out there but my palate hasn't found that magic.
Danny
jal

Post by jal »

There are exceptions, Danny. Or maybe the ones we drink are exceptions, but Fontodi's Vigna del Sorbo and Felsina's Rancia are both too acidic early and get much better with age. But the ones you mentioned are as you say good for early drinking.

That said, maybe something changed with chiantis the last few years and they are made in a more approachable style, I don't have enough experience, does anyone know? Ian? Tom? David? Anyone?
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just thought that Marchese the other night was VERY approachable and VERY enjoyable and satisfying. It hit the spot with a fried pork chop.
I don't age Chiantis, I just drink them.
I made the mistake of letting a case of 2004 Ruffino Gold Label are ten years. I cracked it open around 2014. They were way past their prime.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Monsanto Il Poggio needs age and can last for decades. Had the '83 last year and it was in sensational form. Rancia definitely needs cellar time in my experience-- the 04 is still nasty, brutish, and mean.
AKR

Post by AKR »

It's not in the core Classico zone, but Selvapiana makes some good wines too.

I don't have much experience with older Chianti's, but it seems like some of the new ones are being made in a more ageworthy style, at least according to board chatter. I have put down a few reservas and gran seleziones for the kids from the 2010 vintage.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I think that the chianti wines are similar to Bordeaux in that some are made for early drinking while others have the "stuffing" to age. The Ruffino wines I have had are not made for aging. But wines like the Felsina Riserva Rancia, of even the regular riserva are better with some age. Agree that the 2004 Rancia is still very young, but it is also really good with some air time.
Last edited by JCNorthway on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Selvapiana Bucerchiale Riserva Chianti Riserva is one of my favorite wines, full stop. The 2006 of this is so good.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I had the basic 2014 Selvapiana Chianti Rufina last night and it was very nice, very open, lighter-to-medium bodied with plenty of sweetness and a very lifted, cottony mouthfeel like a fair weather cumulus cloud. Picked up locally for $17 and better than I expected. Not quite the stuffing (or let's say in a slightly different style) of some other Chianti even at that price point but I'm going to get a few more. This would be great with a veal chop.