2003 Bouchard Bonnes-Mares

stefan

2003 Bouchard Bonnes-Mares

Post by stefan »

I wanted to recalibrate after drinking many Oregon Pinot Noirs recently, so for a dinner of chicken thighs, mushrooms, broccoli, and baked potato with creme fraiche we drank

2003 Bouchard Bonnes-Mares. By 2003 Bouchard had made something of a come back after a long down period, and it is reflected in this wine. Chambolle-Musigy is my favorite Burgundy appellation because of the fragrance of the wines. The '03 Bouchard B-M is not a great example of a B-M, but is certainly very good. Lucie, having drunk little wine of late, adored it. Suffering from a stopped up nose that I treated with only one red pseudoephdrine hypochloride pill, I found the bouquet a bit light but as enticing as it should be. The balance is perfect and the wine betrays no manipulation. I am sorry that we have no more of this beauty. It is available from one store from which I have not bought anything, but at $225, and there are still a few better Burgundies available at that price.
Last edited by stefan on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklasss

Re: 2003 Bouchard Bonnes-Mares

Post by Nicklasss »

Seems like an excellent bottle.

Stefan, I remember that you opened a bottle of that same wine, at the Friday night dinner in 2014 BWE weekend. A great wine, but I prefered the other Bourgogne you also brought that night, the 2001 Richebourg from Denis Mugneret.

A well, you're in a good mood, when you have to compare a Bonnes Mares to a Richebourg...

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I enjoyed that 2008 Bouchard Le Corton we had at your house in September Stefan. I'm glad I have two bottles left.
jal

Post by jal »

2003 is a weird year in burgundy, glad you enjoyed it.
I could use some Sudafed.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nic, I agree with your comparison of the two Burgs.

Jim, I think that by 2008 Bouchard was again hitting on all cylinders. The Corton has a long life ahead.

Yes, 2003 is an iffy year in Burgundy, Jacques, but some producers did well. Robert Chevillon, for example, made wonderful NSGs.