Hart Davis?

AKR

Hart Davis?

Post by AKR »

So based on Blanquito's oblique comment about CO shipping, I gave them a call.

It looks like they are still shipping to CA, or at least that's what they said verbally over the phone.

But more importantly, they seem to have dramatically curtailed their retail (fixed price) sales.

The majority of everything now will be auctioned. I can see the logic of why they are doing it - too much inventory seemed to me to languish there at unreasonable levels, by allowing the consignors to put dream prices on their non rarities. And auctions probably move the inventory faster.

Their web site had been very Spartan for a number of months but I had not grasped the import of that.

That's a bummer as for a long time they were a source of curiosities/treats, sometimes even at fair prices.

My general belief is that its much harder to find value at auctions than via direct transactions.
Last edited by AKR on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Re: Hart Davis?

Post by stefan »

I know what you mean about auctions. The last couple of weeks I have been bidding at the KL auctions and have yet to win anything even with bids plus premium being at low retail. If this keeps up I'll have to do something else to have something to drink in the fall, when I'll be in the bay area for 4+ months.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:I know what you mean about auctions. The last couple of weeks I have been bidding at the KL auctions and have yet to win anything even with bids plus premium being at low retail. If this keeps up I'll have to do something else to have something to drink in the fall, when I'll be in the bay area for 4+ months.
K&L auctions are the most brutal competition I experience on auction sites (I don't bother with outfits that usually only sell full case lots, like Heritage and HDH), I get blown out of the water again and again even when I bid at or above retail prices for the same wine. Silly.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Blanquito wrote:
stefan wrote:I know what you mean about auctions. The last couple of weeks I have been bidding at the KL auctions and have yet to win anything even with bids plus premium being at low retail. If this keeps up I'll have to do something else to have something to drink in the fall, when I'll be in the bay area for 4+ months.
K&L auctions are the most brutal competition I experience on auction sites (I don't bother with outfits that usually only sell full case lots, like Heritage and HDH), I get blown out of the water again and again even when I bid at or above retail prices for the same wine. Silly.
+1

Patrick,

That is very much true. Several times, I have seen auction prices at K&L pretty much the same or above retail even at K&L retail itself...It's been a long time that I purchased any at K&L auction. Obscure producers are the best bet. One of the better deals I got K&L auctions (albeit more than an year ago )was a magnum of 08 Cappellano Rupestris for around $150, which IMO was a steal...Looking for such not so known great producers is the only reason I browse through their auction inventory once in a while...