Two young wines: Bordeaux and Bourgogne

Nicklasss

Two young wines: Bordeaux and Bourgogne

Post by Nicklasss »

In Bordeaux, among the Crus Classés, there are a lot of wines that are well known, populars, that everybody know the names, and there are the ones that are kinda unknown, or that we encounter less often. For what reason? Though to say. Among the Pauillac, a wine that is not talked about often here is Chateau Haut-Batailley. A Fifth Growth, own by the Borie family, well run by Mr. François-Xavier Borie, located in the southern part of the aoc, a cabernet wine with minimum 70 % cabernet sauvignon most of vintages.

Last night , I opened a bottle of the 2012 Chateau Haut-Batailley, from that "call it classic" vintage, made of 71 % cabernet sauvignon. Dark red, with a young nose of blackberries and blackcurrants, very black, moka, purple flowers, cedar and a very light touch of green pepper. In mouth, very well made, still that strong blackfruit attack, with some cedar or light incense, smoke, thick ripe tannins, classic, light austerity, blackberry flavors. Smoke, light blue fruits too. Very young, last glass was the best one. An excellent wine, under the radar of many, but very Pauillac. Liked it. Good potential for the next 10-15 years. Tn: 90-91+.

A second wine opened, completely different, the 2014 Louis Jadot Savigny-lès-Beaune premier cru les lavières, was excellent too. Nice ruby red, nose is fragrant on confit cherries, leaf, cinnamon, red berries, rasberries. Also some sweet spices. In mouth, very seductive with good fruits, minerals and vanilla from the oak. Creamy cherries, soft vanilla, but also with that good core of tannins and bitter red berries that Côte-de-Beaune wines have. Excellent and even more enjoyable than the Pauillac now. Will be even better in the next 7-10 years. Tn: 91+.

These two young wines were very good and representative of their area. Clearly made in a style to be able to enjoy them now, they will age gracely too.

Any experiences with other Haut-Batailley?

Nic
stefan

Re: Two young wines: Bordeaux and Bourgogne

Post by stefan »

Lucie and I have always liked Haut-Batailley. Always a proper Pauillac, it, like D'Armailhac, can be drunk younger than most of the other classified Pauillacs. I have never drunk a really old H-B, but the 1989 and 1990 are still in their prime for my taste. The youngest I have is 2002. While it will improve with further age, it is has been enjoyable for several years.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

thanks Nic. You're drinking well!
AKR

Post by AKR »

I've had some good Haut Batailleys, like 96 and 00. I was thinking of buying the 2012 too, have not gotten around to it.

When people rage against spoofalated BDX, they should try the Borie or Casteja family of wines.

Old school, consistent, need some patience.

An oddity in our world of AmazonPrimeNow delivery in 1 hour.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

We drank a bottle of the 1982 Haut Batailley last week. It was fresh and a bit tart, bit like cranberry - went very well with pasta and red sauce. Probably getting towards the end of its prime drinking window. This was the seventh or eighth bottle I've had of the 1982 and all have been solid but not great, say 88-91 point range.

Chris Bublitz
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I tried the 1989 Haut Batailley on Friday. It had a lot of up front exuberance. Really enjoyable, but more on the front than the back.