TN: 2004 Malescot St-Ex

NoahR

TN: 2004 Malescot St-Ex

Post by NoahR »

Popped and poured but then consumed over about 6 hours.A really nice wine in an underappreciated vintage. This hits all the classic high end Bordelaise notes of clean cassis fruit, bits of graphite and a light and almost imperceptible bit of green pepper. The nose is complex and lush and beginning to reach maturity but quite a bit of fruit still remains. Decent core of acidity and tannins still not fully resolved suggest this will continue to age well, but this comes across really well for 12y old.
JimHow

Re: TN: 2004 Malescot St-Ex

Post by JimHow »

Agreed. I've drunk two bottles from my case.
It's a really nice wine and will continue to evolve positively for another decade-plus.
AKR

Post by AKR »

NoahR wrote:Popped and poured but then consumed over about 6 hours.A really nice wine in an underappreciated vintage. This hits all the classic high end Bordelaise notes of clean cassis fruit, bits of graphite and a light and almost imperceptible bit of green pepper. The nose is complex and lush and beginning to reach maturity but quite a bit of fruit still remains. Decent core of acidity and tannins still not fully resolved suggest this will continue to age well, but this comes across really well for 12y old.
We had the 2000 a while back. It seemed to drink better when younger, to my tastes, which is odd at the classified growth level. Haven't had much of this estate at all.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Popped the '06 a couple years back at a dinner...i had a cold so I couldn't give it a true accurate eval. but remember liking it and the guests did as well.