Biggest Recent Disappointment?

stefan

Biggest Recent Disappointment?

Post by stefan »

For me it is 1997 Drouhin Musigny. At the table last night after pouring and tasting I turned to Irena and remarked, "You can still buy this at one wine shop in the world, in Barcelona. It is $1500. Plus tax, of course." She replied, "why?"

Exactly. Musigny is, or rather should be, special. We drank an excellent one last September when Jim, Rob, and Sue visited. stefanJr and Irena had never tasted a Musigny and I thought that at 20 years the Drouhin should be showing well, so I brought one to Oregon. There was nothing wrong with the wine; the structure was fine; but there was no magic. In particular, the indescribable Musigny bouquet was missing. "I would be happy to buy this for $20-30," stefanJr commented, only partly joking.

Too bad I don't have other bottles of this to send to auction.

What is YOUR most recent disappointment with a sound bottle (i.e., TCA free; no heat damage; no oxidation; ...).
johnz

Re: Biggest Recent Disappointment?

Post by johnz »

Recently the 1988 Lafite from half-bottle. Not bad, but really quite boring. I sold most of my Lafite in 2011 and kept that -- sure glad I sold the 1988 Magnum for $2,000 and bought better wine.

--Gary Rust
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

85 Mouton.

May have been ever so slightly corked. We didn't get TCA on the wine, but the top of the cork had a trace of it.

Either way, the wine was merely very good.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

1986 La Mission Haut Brion - last December, a good wine in the 90-92 point range.

OK, that's no so bad but at the same dinner, 1986 Rausan Segla (96) was a big step up as was 1982 Gruaud Larose (97). Even 1998 Pape Clement (93) topped the 1986 LMHB. Past examples produced similar results - solid wine to be sure but just not worth the price tag. I am a big fan of LMHB so this makes it even more of a disappointment.

Chris Bublitz
William P

Post by William P »

2000 Rauzan Gassies. I've had it before and liked it. This time the fruit was a no show so the acid was a bit much. I suspect it needs more time before the fruit reappears.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Implicitly I guess this is about a great name that didn't live up to its billing.

Mine would be Chateau Margaux 1988, which was in the line up in our dinner last May in memory of Paul Pontallier. Others around the table disagreed with me including Neal Martin who brought it along. I couldn't coax anything out of this painfully reticent wine, which seemed to be on a slow boat to China. The previous time I tried it a decade earlier it was exactly the same. If I had some I would give it another decade. But I wouldn't hold out any high hopes for it. Palmer 1988 is much nicer.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ian thanks for this input on 1988 Margaux. We have a few bottles and were planning to open one for our 30th anniversary next year. Might just let it rest and go with the Haut Brion.

I cant think of a major Bdx disappointment in recent years outside of the occasional corked bottle. A year ago I opened a 2003 Branaire Ducru and found a tannic not ready for prime time beast. That was a disappointment but I have high hopes for it to come around.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, the red from Jura superstar Ganevat, Cuvée Madelou, was a big let down. I guess that natural wines is not necessary a quality term. Light fruit, co2, light cranberries, nothing very interesting.

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

David my disclaimer is that superior - and perhaps more forensic - palates disagreed with me so if you have several bottles...but if you have to clasp hands in a seance to detect a wine's wares I say it ain't worth it...

My favourite 88s are - quite frankly very little from the Right Bank (apart perhaps Conseillante and Figeac) - virtually everything in Sauternes - and on the left bank: Lynch-Bages, both Pichons, Leovilles 'cases and Barton, Gruaud-Larose and Talbot, and Palmer.

Palmer showed extremely well in our Palmer dinner in November '15.

When it comes to first growths and equivalents, the right bank doesn't appear to be that great. On the left bank Latour is the front runner, but I think Lafite is the pick, followed by Mouton, which is really coming on strong (with deference to John/Gary for my dissenting view).

I have found Haut-Briton and LMHB to be quite austere. Pape is nice but approaching the end of its drinking plateau in my experience.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I'll take a hedonistic evaluation over a forensic one any day, Ian. First growths have a target on their backs for biggest disappointments because expectations are so high.

I like 88 Haut Brion more than you do, but it's always my favorite first when it's on. Still have some of that and the other firsts except Latour. Have had a hard time keeping hands off the Baron, Talbot and Gruaud (gone) and the Lynch (almost gone) so I agree with you on those. I've been saving the firsts for last and am starting to wonder if I've drunk up my best 88s already. Outside of red Bordeaux, I laid in enough wedding year Climens and Yquem and Krug to last a while. And one 3L of 88 Beaucastel - lord knows when I'll get around to opening that. May be past it already. That'll be a (literally) big disappointment.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

86 Mouton has been great and....not so great.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
First growths have a target on their backs for biggest disappointments because expectations are so high.
>>

I have more often been disappointed by the fancier Grand Cru Burgundies than by first growth Bordeaux.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm rarely disappointed by a first growth.
I was disappointed by that Chinon last month.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I had a glass of a crummy 97 Davis Bynum single vineyard cab last night.

Switched to a commercially oriented 2007 Beringer Alluvium instead.

I don't pour many glasses down the sink.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I remember buying three bottles of 1981 Mouton from PC for like $75 each back in the day.
Parker had scored that wine like 79 points.
I thought it was beautiful, all three bottles.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

stefan wrote:>>
First growths have a target on their backs for biggest disappointments because expectations are so high.
>>

I have more often been disappointed by the fancier Grand Cru Burgundies than by first growth Bordeaux.
Not surprised by this. I don't play in that sandbox in part because of this.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote:I'm rarely disappointed by a first growth.
For the most part they do deserve their reputations. I've had disappointments, though more often due to drinking them too young - 82 and 86 Mouton and 82 Haut Brion come to mind. Kicked myself for not listening to others and expecting I'd be able to appreciate the magic before it had happened. And some forgettable mid-70s Margaux. But none of those were recent.
AKR

Post by AKR »

DavidG wrote: I cant think of a major Bdx disappointment in recent years outside of the occasional corked bottle. A year ago I opened a 2003 Branaire Ducru and found a tannic not ready for prime time beast. That was a disappointment but I have high hopes for it to come around.
I'm having an 03 Branaire tonight, its pretty good all by itself sans food, but there is still maybe 5-10% unresolved tannin to my taste left. That's not some scientific IPT metric, just my general impression. Still, these are quite nice: bright red fruit, dark cocoa, medium body. Balanced with acidity. Nothing heavy/cloying the way people might typecast the 2003 freakish year. But to be fair, the upper regions of the Medoc were ok that year I thought. The right banks got didn't so well, ex Pavie or something.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David,

I agree with your impression of the 2003 Branaire. I too thought it was way too young but think it has more to come.

The 86 Mouton that we had last August I thought was stellar and better than I had anticipated. From the controversy of some saying it was a disappointment,others it wasn't ready and some saying it was excellent let me questioning what to expect. Our bottle exceeded expectations and I don't believe it was simply the magic of our 30th. This was a memorable bottle for all of the right reasons.

On the disappointing side it was the 100 pt 82 Leoville Las Cases drank at least 10yrs back left me really questioning the 100pt scale. This fell well below that rating for me and I think the most disappointing wines have been those 100 pointers in general, Bordeaux or otherwise. Expectations are high and the bottles usually fall short. I must say the Bordeaux 100 pointers are usually still enjoyable wines but Aussie,Italian,Californian 100pointers I rarely understand or get the joy I'm supposed to especially for the price paid.
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

GPL 2000 - on holiday - was prosaic, really disappointing...maybe it didn't travel well
Mouton 1989 - on holiday for my birthday :) was good but a tad underwhelming. If I had this so many times, and I have had some great bottles but too many so-so ones that I think it is closer to the 1990 than the 1988
LLC 1988 otoh - magnifique!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

GPL 2000 - on holiday - was prosaic, really disappointing...maybe it didn't travel well
Sigh.. Yet ANOTHER GPL disappointment/disaster.
I mean, come on, this is getting a little tiring, no?
But I thought Two Thousand was the "vintage of the millennium" <rolls eyes>.
I mean, all you had to do was harvest the grapes that year to produce great wines.
Imagine that.
I keep warning you, people, but you don't listen to me.
Other than the 1995 GPL, this estate has been a complete and utter fraud.
I wouldn't pay $20 for this wine, even in "epic" <rolls eyes> vintages like 15 and 16.
DON'T WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS!!!
stefan

Post by stefan »

IMO, D'Armailhac is the most consistent 5th growth Pauillac, but GPL has higher highs. (As do Lynch-Bages, which is more appropriately grouped with the 2nd growth Pauillacs, and Pontet-Canet, which in recent vintages competes with the best from Pauillac).
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I'm on the Mouton disappointment train. Ian was unbelievably generous to open a 1996 and 1989 Mouton for me, Tim and Alex in London earlier this month, and they did not show the way I would expect a 1st growth to show.

SF Ed
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks,
I would say that the 79 and 85 Moutons were both underwhelming, no better than some cru bourgeois.
The 1990 was never that impressive either, being a good wine but no better.