TN: 2011 Pontet Canet

Comte Flaneur

TN: 2011 Pontet Canet

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Bright resplendent maroon. Rich ripe berry fruit, ultra fine tannins with some milled oak. Subdued palate initially with hints of graphite and berries. Very suave and luxurious mouthfeel. Pure caressing, cashmere; liquid velvet. Errs towards ripe fruit and lowish acidity. Clearly enormous attention to detail here in the selection of the berries. It is so approachable, drinkable and pleasurably. Tasted blind I would guess something very very expensive. Not instantly recognisable as Pauillac, but there is plenty of graphite, which gives the nod to the left Bank. If I was guessing I would say Mouton because it is so similar to the drop dead gorgeous Mouton 2011 - they are of course neighbours. Triumphant in the context of the vintage. Just fabulous.
JimHow

Re: TN: 2011 Pontet Canet

Post by JimHow »

Mmmmm.
I wonder if 2011 is a quiet success story in the northern Medoc.
I absolutely loved the 2011 Calon Segur.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks Comte for the report. 2011 is a vintage I like, the Calon Segur being fabulous too. I have taste a very small pour from a bottle of the 2011 Pontet Canet in a tasting machine, and thought it was glorious too. But high price here.

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Well the 2012 is just as good with a frontal attack of ripe rich berry ruit and such a luxurious mouthfeel. You can't help thinking Alfred and his troops are raising the bar.

With lamb chops this was paired off with a splendidly rich and sophisticated Rion, from the same vintage. Both wines out of the top drawer. Both so drinkable. Despite all the troubles that afflict us we are in a golden era.

My human friendly dog - paranoid dog, Twizz, eight, meeting George, four. Linear perspective clouds that George is 10 times bigger. Remember he was the one I tried to persuade to run for President of the United States.

Rer

Post by Rer »

What was the time in the decanter for the 2011 and the 2012?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Both popped and poured. Both drunk over two days. Second half of the 2012 will be finished tonight. Astonishingly approachable both of them, and difficult to pick a winner. The 2012 has a bit more heft, while the 2011 has more a tad more finesse. Unquestionably modern but not at all contrived or forced. Perhaps a glimpse into the future, and a wine which is ahead of its time. I can only imagine how good are the 2015 and 2016.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Those 2011 and 2012 Pontet Canets are JimHow kinds of wines. (Please excuse the third person reference.)