BWE Maine '09

DavidG

Re: BWE Maine '09

Post by DavidG »

Looks like the weekend of Sept 12-13 would work for us. Maybe come up right after Labor Day and stay through the following weekend. But do we have to drink Burgundy?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

White Burgundy and lobster on the coast of Maine... Mmmmmmmmmm......
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

A two hour drive from Logan? I don't think "Wooster Mahss" was within a two hour drive of Logan back in the day! Maybe the Big Dig has been a success after all.

We'll probably come up Friday am and leave on Sunday, but a big herd of BWE'ers should never be hard to find...we'll just follow the trail of overflowing green glass recycling bins!
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Jim - is that week after Labor Day a good time to visit Acadia? If so I might be able to find my way up there with the wife & combine a little wine with a little vacation time.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Excellent, David!
The week after Labor Day is, in my opinion, the best week of the year to visit Acadia. For several years my brothers and i would pick that week to camp up there because a) the weather is still nice, b) most of the tourists have left but there is still enough going on to make it fun.
William P

Post by William P »

Visiting Acadia was exactly what I was thinking.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Acadia is my favorite place on earth.
Second most visited national park after Yellowstone.
Had some white Burgundy and lobster with Nic/Marie-Claude in Bar Harbor a couple summers ago, it was splendid.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote:White Burgundy and lobster on the coast of Maine... Mmmmmmmmmm......
I've got nooo problem with white Burgs. It's the red devils that must be avoided. :mrgreen:

William P wrote:Visiting Acadia was exactly what I was thinking.
Peggy and I were thinking the same thing. Spend the week after Labor Day in Acadia, then the following weekend with BWE. She is an avowed non-camper. What kind of accommodations are there in or around the park?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

There are dozens of hotels and motels ranging from the moderately expensive to very inexpensive, rates are excellent after Labor day.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

It would be fun and efficient if we all were in the same place. I'll take a look around and, Jim, please suggest any hotels you would recommend.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well, the first thing we need to decide is where we want to spend our time. The main attractions on the coast include Portland, Boothbay Harbor, and Bar Harbor/Acadia. Bar Harbor is a little more out of the way, three hours north of me, although it is spectacular in its beauty. As I've said, my house is open if you want to have a Thursday night dinner there and then make our way to the coast for Friday to Sunday. I'm completely flexible.

Perhaps Rick and Kathy should join in and give their perspectives, as well as Nic.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

For us, as we depart from Logan, a circular route would make sense so we end on Sunday evening closer to the airport as we leave Monday. Thursday at the BD's house sounds great and then off we go...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds great, Jay, I'm totally flexible, I'll block those days off, whatever you guys want to do.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

As far as Thursday is concerned, I have three comfortable extra bedrooms in a bucolic wooded setting if people want to stay at the How Estate, or there is a Hilton Garden Inn for usually about $80-$100 that is about 5 miles from my house and a Motel 6 for about $39 that is about 2.5 miles from my house. Both are clean and comfortable, and I would ensure that we have transportation available to and from the hotels (my brothers and sister in law have offered to provide taxi service!).
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Maybe we should pick a time and utilize the chat feature to coordinate.
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

I am getting ready to purchase Rob and my tickets. We will most likely fly up Thurdsday and back on Monday. I'd like to hear where others are staying so we can stay at a place where there are other BWE:ers!!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Susan, I think arrival Thursday and departure Monday makes sense.
After Labor Day, you will be able to stay anywhere you want, at prices reduced significantly from a week earlier. The highlights as you make your way up the coast are Ogunquit, Portland, Boothbay Harbor, all within pretty much a 60 minute radius of Lewiston. If people are staying only two or three days, I would say Bar Harbor/Acadia is not the best option, as that is another two hours north of Boothbay Harbor. If anyone is planning on staying another day or two, though, I highly recommend Acadia, it is truly spectacular, especially if you are up for a hike up Mount Cadillac, with its breathtaking views of land and ocean on the way up, the summit of which sees the sun earlier than any other spot in the U.S.
I agree that staying at the same hotel will be important, it is in the rooms and out on the oceanside decks where any serious wine drinking will occur, as there is no corkage allowed in the restaurants and wine lists are limited in Maine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

There are lots of places like this one at Smuggler's Cove Motel right on the water.
(Good grief, I just noticed that they still have my wedding picture featured in their "weddings" link.)

http://www.smugglerscovemotel.com

A place like that would be a good option, with every room featuring a deck facing the harbor. There are lots of options similar to this up and down the Maine coast.
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Smugglers Cove looks divine. Is that far from Lewiston?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That's in Boothbay Harbor, about an hour from Lewiston and 45 minutes from Portland.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jim, how long is the hike up Mt Cadillac? An all-day trek or a couple of hours? Safe to go solo or should you have a companion?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

David, Mt. Cadillac is a pleasant hike, safe and not too rugged. The most popular trail is about two hours to the top and two hours back down, with beautiful panoramas of Bar Harbor. When I'm in really good shape I can do it in about an hour and a half each way. On a clear day you can see Mt. Katahdin from the top of Cadillac. It is very easy to climb by oneself, or with others.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

For anyone who might be interested in camping in Acadia, there are well-maintained campgrounds that are located near the ocean, some with hot water showers, some without. At night you can see the Milky Way in splendor like you've never seen before, billions of stars coming together in radiant glow at the center of the sky, reflecting out onto the ocean, where gazillions of phosphorous microbes in the water reflect the light from the celestial display, taking the breath away!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

For the truly adventurous, of course, another two hours north of Bar Harbor, up near the Canadian border, is my absolute favorite place on earth, tiny fishing outpost Eastport, Maine, overlooking Campobello Island (over into Canadian territory), where Franklin Roosevelt's cottage still stands. There are bogs and rock beaches and thousands of acres of blueberries here in poignantly beautiful Washington County, a terrain that dates back to the age of the glaciers, largely untouched by tourism, with fogs that roll in and out and an end-of-the-earth atmosphere and a simplicity of life that reinvigorates the soul! Distant foghorns, the seagull's song interrupting the late-afternoon silence, a glass of Grand Puy Lacoste with some cheese out on the deck looking out at Campobello across the bay through the mist rolling in as darkness begins to set in, at the end of a day of hiking and exploring. Heaven on earth!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My friend Steve, who many of you have met at past BWE conventions, has been following this thread. He lives in Portland and is available to provide some designated driving (he doesn't drink alcohol) and is willing to help with transportation if anyone is arriving at the Portland airport.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Just from a logistics planning standpoint let me ask what folks are thinking. Is it get together for wine and fun on the weekend after Labor Day? I would think that Laura and I could explore Acadia from Tuesday-Friday (drive up Monday) & then enjoy some time with the crew. Is a weekend get together what is planned?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That sounds perfect, David. We are definitely focusing on the Thursday to Sunday following Labor Day, which is September 10th to 13th. My understanding is that Jay and Peggy will be in Boston for a conference the week after Labor Day and are planning on driving up from boston on the afternoon of Thursday September 10th. I believe Rob and sue dayton are also planning on flying up from NC on that Thursday. I think dinner on Thursday night at my house in Lewiston would be best, then we could work our way to the Boothbay Harbor area for Friday to Sunday. But I'm completely flexible on that, whatever you guys want to do works best for me.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

We might end up joining you for the weekend, but we'll see. It's a long way off &I'm starting a new position at the company in a few weeks. I'll keep in touch.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah we've got plenty of time to work out the details. I'm glad Peggy and Jay pushed the issue, though, now we're committed to that weekend of September 10th, which is good, we can focus on that weekend.
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

I held off a little on booking because we have been discussing making a longer trip. It looks now like we will be flying in to Boston on either Sunday or Monday 9/6 or 9/7 and flying back on 9/13 or 9/14. We figured as long as we are up there we would like to do some sightseeing/lobster eating ;)

We may spend Sun/Mon in Boston so if anyone who is already there are traveling to there at the same time would like to get together, let us know. We will plan on arriving in Lewiston on Thursday unless the plans change. We look forward to seeing everyone!

Susan Dayton
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That sounds great Susan, looking forward to it!
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

Maybe I can make it and join you in September in Maine. I will be in CdP end of August where I will organize a meeting of the young winemakers with Robert Parker.
Is there already a fixed date?

CdP-Harry
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Hi Harry!

We are looking at the 10th through the 13th of September. That is after Labor Day - so there are less crowds and the prices are down. Labor day falls on the first Monday of September (this year it is September 7.)

Hope to see you there!!!

Susan Dayton
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That would be awesome, Harry, like Susan says, Maine in September is a great place! Dinner at my house on Thursday September 10th, then we make our way to the coast Friday, Saturday, Sunday. From the comments here and offline, it sounds like a number of people are coming in earlier in the week.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

that would be great Harry. Hope you can make it.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

This may be premature but a certain resident of Dubai expressed interest in the Maine gathering.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think Maine '09, or as Danny refers to it-- Howfest '09-- is going to be a major international wine event! Be there or be square!
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jim

looks like fun is around the corner in September

Not sure if you have thought anymore about us booking one of those entire B&B type places where they have a resturant too and we would be more free to bring wine
AS I recall last year the best place around was not available the entire weekend......that weekend still fills up a bit but Thursday and Friday morning are empty

rick
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Rick - Which place is that?

Susan
JEP_62

Post by JEP_62 »

Jim,

Please count me in, but most likely just Friday-Sunday. It will be hard to get away on Thursday since it's a short week already.

Susan,

I'm sure we (the Boston based BWE'ers) can put something together to welcome you and Rob to Boston. Let me know when your plans firm up. There are a few places in Boston that allow BYO, but if the crowd gets too large, we may have to move it out to the burbs.

Andy