Best wine glass? NY Times says...

AlexR

Best wine glass? NY Times says...

Post by AlexR »

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-wi ... y-mar-2017

My Spielgelau glasses are pretty much exactly the same shape. But I think they are probably much thinner.

I love thin glasses. The better quality ones are wonderfully thin, but also quite fragile.
Let's face it, glasses do break. And that's why I would rather spend my money on expensive wines than expensive glasses :-).

No way on earth I'm going to buy top-quality Riedel glasses unless I win the lottery or start selling cocaine.

Alex R.
Nicklasss

Re: Best wine glass? NY Times says...

Post by Nicklasss »

Interesting but today, sometime i feel we have too much choice for some products, including wine glasses, that don't really need that huge range.

For my part, i prefer glasses that are medium wide and high, that helps for swirling the liquid, warm up the liquid and get out nicely the aromas. I don't use anymore the INAO, too small.

Do we need a Wine Glass Spectator magazine?

Nic
jckba

Post by jckba »

Born and raised on Riedel glassware but would be interested in doing a side by side comparison with the Zalto's.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I wonder if those are just branded Libbey and made by someone else.

I just get the Spiegelau's from WorldMarket which go on sale periodically for $20 per six pack.

That's a great deal, and they are dishwasher safe, very practical.

The Costco deal for Nachtmans was also excellent, although the glasses are a bit taller.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

AKR wrote:I wonder if those are just branded Libbey and made by someone else.

I just get the Spiegelau's from WorldMarket which go on sale periodically for $20 per six pack.

That's a great deal, and they are dishwasher safe, very practical.

The Costco deal for Nachtmans was also excellent, although the glasses are a bit taller.

Thanks Arv. Last Christmas, I got the worldmarket bordeaux and burgundy 6 pack stemware each after your posting....

Costco has 8 pack kirkland signature bdx glasses (The package says German made). I thought they are also Spiegelau and they are identical to the worldmarket ones...
AKR

Post by AKR »

No the Costco ones are Nachtmann, some other subsidiary of Riedel. They are German though.

Pretty good but I think the Spiegelaus are better, as the sizing is more useful.

Costco ones should be checked for small flaws. Some WB's were reporting issues with that.

One of my 8 had a tiny flaw - I would not have noticed though if I'd seen the note to check.

I'll take a picture side by side and post.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I also felt worldmarket ones are better than costco ones and as usual, costco ones seemed a bit bigger (or maybe it's my costco bigly bias..)
jckba

Post by jckba »

Okay I will share what I feel like is the best deal in fine glassware of the moment. Currently Bed, Bath and Beyond has a 6 glass Riedel 260 Year Celebration Pack of either the Vinum Cebernet / Merlot or Vinum Chianti / Riesling on clearance for $49.99 per box (regularly $99.99). Use a coupon and you can potentially save 20% on top of the stupid price bringing the cost per glass down under $8/per. Happy hunting!