Saturday Night Topped the Week

dstgolf

Saturday Night Topped the Week

Post by dstgolf »

Last night was the best of the three and made the trip very worth while. What a wonderful group of friends we've developed. Truly it has become about the friends more so than the wines but...

Restaurant Town Hall was clearly a step up from the night before. Service fabulous with lots of good stems and food well cooked/tasty. Wines clearly shone with sooo many stars don't know where to begin. For me two highlights of the night were from our table with Stuart showing his exceptional generosity again starting with the 82 l'Evangile...perfection in a bottle. Doesn't get better. Smooth sexy,great length and perfect balance. The next top treat was the 67 DYquem. Wow a wine with such incredible pedigree has risks to fall short but not on this night. What a magical Sauterne with caramel,oranges toffee and good acidity. The small taste didn;t do it justice but yum. It's brother the 97 de Fargues was also very good but a step behind.

Tim brought a 78 Haut Brion that was the star between the 64,67 & 70 in my books. Nics 90 Rauzan Segla was again a magical margaux with nose that makes me close my eyes and want to dream. 82 La Dominique was still hanging in with lovely nose and getting light on her feet. A treat from Jim.

Bill brought an 82 Canon that disappointed him as it leaked on the plane. Wish I could have been there to save the dops. He says it wasn't as good as the last bottle but still a star. One step up for me with a little fresher fruit and depth was the 83 Canon from Howard. A nice contrast.

70 La Tour a Pomerol from Nic was amazingly good for its age but had it later in the eve and memory was starting to fade.

2000 Cos d'Estournel I saved for my steak and this youngster is crazy smooth with,length,fruit balance to make this a star to come. I must say I've gone through a case of this with the first 10 bottles being a little MEH! My last two have really turned the corner and are fabulous. Too bad there's no more.

79 Cos from Bill was good but not the wow factor of many other. 82 La Mission a little controversy with some thinking a little corked but still a treat to have.

2002 Leoville Barton out of Magnum was superb and one house I'm disappointed that I never bought more of over the years. 96 Montrose was great but needs to shed much more baby fat..

82 Dom de Chevalier was classic Pessac with leather tobacco and still dark fruit. Very young for its age and still needs 10+ years.

82 GPL from William P proved Jim wrong I hope and showed a lovely face on the night.

Comtes Champagne was my favourite of the eve and have never had it before so thanks Nic.

I know that I forgot many and failed to taste a few but you can't do it all even though it seemed many were trying!

All good things come to an end but look forward to many more gatherings even though I'm thankful that this upcoming California extended tour is much needed to recoup and dry out.

Thanks to Lisa and Ed for the organization, and Jim or pulling this together. Nic always solid and we just don't see each other often enough. I look forward to meeting again soon and hopefully some faces can make a trip to Ottawa this summer to enjoy an off-line in our Nations Capitol during our 150th birth year.
Danny
dstgolf

Re: Saturday Night Topped the Week

Post by dstgolf »

Pretty quiet on the board either with heavy heads or tired post travel.

Great day today with sad end to hear my mothers in having surgery as I write for a perforated bowel. Not sure from where as of yet but its tough being away from her.

Got down the coast as far as the town of Big Sur then turned around because road closed. Went back in to Carmel and walked around but most places closed on Sunday. Drove most of 17 mile drive stopping in to Pebble Beach for a photo op and were going to have dinner but nothing struck our fancy so had Thai in Monterey around the corner from our hotel.

Hopefully everyone had or will have safe travels back home.
Danny
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Jeez, wish I wuz there...

Alex R.
William P

Post by William P »

Thanks for your help this weekend Danny. Slowly on the mend.

Don't forget Point Lobos State Park. On Highway One about 3 miles south of Carmel Valley Road. Enjoy Palm Springs.

Sorry about your Mom.

Safe travels.

Bill