Drinking Well

RPCV

Drinking Well

Post by RPCV »

A few nice wines over the last month or so...

2000 Lagrange St. Julien

Decanted for two hours prior to consumption. I am mid-way through a case. This wine is inconsistent as the last two bottles have been just OK. Nice, typical nose but a bit thin in the middle. Elegant finish...I was expecting a bit more muscle. Perhaps just poor luck but I will check in on another soon.

2005 Barde Haut

Poured a glass and the rest into the decanter. This is a solid wine that got better after the first glass showing a cocoa powder on the nose, hints of crushed red fruits and a mildly tannic, but balanced finish. Glad to have 5 more...liked the 2012 better.

2003 Cos d'Estournel

Nothing to say but excellent. Generally not a big fan of '03 and, in fact, this is the only '03 I own. Deep. powerful and elegant....if that's possible.

2007 Hirtzberger Gruner Rotes Tor Smaragd

Wow. At point. White pepper, snap pea and a hint of rhubarb...all nice and neat. Super wine.

2005 La Garde Pessac

Decanted for a couple of hours and it needed it. First glass tight, second beautiful balance and depth...glad to have more... a very nice wine at the table.

2014 Corsin St. Veran VV

Super value, year in and year out. This vintage has a bit extra of everything...one to seek out.
JimHow

Re: Drinking Well

Post by JimHow »

well done, RPCV. You are dead on on the 05/12 Barde Haut.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I was also underwhelmed by a recent bottle of the 2000 Lagrange.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Blanquito: does The 2000 Lagrange need five more years? :-).

RPCV, good selection of wines. I'm now intrigued: 2003 Cos and elegant?

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Funny you should ask! I had the 90 Lagrange just last night. It was in fine fettle, quite delicious, fully mature but with probably 10-15 years of peak drinking ahead of it.

You know, it has often occurred to me that I could be wrong about Another-5-Years and that the real issue is I really only love Bordeaux from 1990 and older. I don't think so, but there are so few Bordeaux from 1995-present that thrill me like Bordeaux from 82-90 (and older too, albeit at a lower hit rate) that I have to hope the younger stuff just needs more time.
AKR

Post by AKR »

RPCV wrote:A few nice wines over the last month or so...

2005 La Garde Pessac

Decanted for a couple of hours and it needed it. First glass tight, second beautiful balance and depth...glad to have more... a very nice wine at the table.
We threw back a bottle of the 2000 by the pool yesterday, in about ten minutes.

Not the best poolside quaffer, but when its 105F, any liquid works fine.

Lots of red berry fruit here.