2010 barde haut

robert goulet

2010 barde haut

Post by robert goulet »

This is bordeaux

-but-

This.Is.Not.Bordeaux!

Ripe roasted plum punch, cedar notes, low acid, high alcohol, grainy wood tannins finish it out

I can drink an entire bottle of chinon and be fine...two glasses of this and I was buzzed.

$25 on sale, I'm not returning for the others.
Last edited by robert goulet on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: 2010 barde haur

Post by JimHow »

wow
robert goulet

Re: 2010 barde haut

Post by robert goulet »

See Jim I'm so wasted I couldn't spell 'Haut' correctly! Hahaha

I dont know Jim, I really wanted to like this because of the great price, but I just don't get it.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

At the convention, i brought the 2012 at a pre dinner apperitive... The BWE Woty.

Some controversy, but I thought that for the price, the style, the quality, it was maybe a long shot for the BWE woty, but still deserved. Period. (i won't add more details).

Nic

Goulet, panty dropper wine lover, not liking the 2010 Barde Haut? Like Axl Rose said "where do we go, where do we go now, where do we go?".
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

$25 is a fantastic price, but it's no bargain if you don't like it.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Nicklasss wrote:At the convention, i brought the 2012 at a pre dinner apperitive... The BWE Woty.

Some controversy, but I thought that for the price, the style, the quality, it was maybe a long shot for the BWE woty, but still deserved. Period. (i won't add more details).

Nic

Goulet, panty dropper wine lover, not liking the 2010 Barde Haut? Like Axl Rose said "where do we go, where do we go now, where do we go?".

Ha! Yes the PD!! the sexiest most exotic bordeaux I have ever tasted...drank it twice since...all that sexiness is gone like dust in the wind...poof!

A freakish wine on release, unlike anything I had enountered because of some foreign spice component....like when u drink a bad ass burg with all that dazzling asian spice...kinda like that experience...Now, unfortunately it's all gone and only oak shake remains.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Bugger I have a case of this in the storage unit.
It got rave reviews initially, and I ordered a case en primeur.

If it is left for another 5-10 years, will it ever taste like a St Emilion?
AKR

Post by AKR »

I'm not sure what is "St Emilion" nowadays - there are many different ways of making wine.

But I think Barde Haut is generally delicious, and it keeps well.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Sounds ghastly. What's the alcohol? Must be >15%?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Drunk at age 7. Supposedly an early drinker, but good chance this was at its most awkward stage. Mine will rest for at least another 3 years, though I am now tempted to open one in the name of science. Or contrariness.

I know, I know, you're all experienced tasters and can tell an out of balance wine when you taste it. And god forbid if it's over 14% alcohol. All I can say is that If any of you want to unload your 2010 Barde Haut at $25/btl, I'll break my buying freeze to relieve you of them.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

fyi....the Panty dropper dialogue is in reference to the 2010 Clos de l'Oratoire
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

AKR,
I agree that there are a range of different styles, but it would be nice to drink a right bank wine that has a taste of plums and red berries. Not blackberries or blackcurrant.
Further, a lot of right bank wines are now too high in alcohol (14.5% or more) compared with the 12.5-13% that was common even 20 years ago.
My biggest gripe is wood.
I tried a recent Pavie at tasting a few years ago, and it was so oaky, it smelled like a timberyard and the fruit was dominated by toasty, vanilla, pencilly oak.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Well global warming is ripening up these grapes much more, so more sugar, and thus more alcohol.

On the bright side, by my calculations, you can now drink 1/7th less wine today, as you had to a generation ago, to get the same abv% intake :D