The 2014 Ridge Lytton Springs has been uncorked....

JimHow

The 2014 Ridge Lytton Springs has been uncorked....

Post by JimHow »

Real nice on the nose, it seems a little less overwhelming than the Geyserville, in a good way... at least on the nose.
JimHow

Re: The 2014 Ridge Lytton Springs has been uncorked....

Post by JimHow »

Yum seems a little smoother on the first sip too. I like this. At least early on.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Delicious wine, I think I prefer this by just a notch to the Geyserville because it is just a notch more understated.
This wine has everything about the 2014 Geyserville except for the almost intimidating bigness.
It is just a little more reined in. Excellent QPR at $29.
91 points.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yeah, when I am drinking Geyserville I think it is better, and when I am drinking Lytton Springs I think it is better. Try mixing them and you will think the mix is better. Well, I have not tried that, but that is my prediction.

The only CA wines I buy regularly are these two Ridge wines. They are among the best values in all of winedom. I also enjoy the Ridge ATP wines that I drink at stefanJr's.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

well I have 5 more bottles of the 2014 Geyserville and 5 more bottles of the Lytton Springs, and I'm glad I have them to drink over the next year or two.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

When I first read this I thought you said you'd drink them all over the next week or two. Lol.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Bought a few 2013 Ridge Geyserville last week, to drink with Béatrice in a little bit less than 14 years...

I should buy some 2014 also.

I was sad lately to notice that my Ridge inventory is exceptionnally low!

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Why would you guys let any of these Ridge wines age for any amount of time?
I'm not saying they'll become over the hill, but how do you see these $29 bottles of wine becoming appreciably BETTER?
Carlos Delpin

Post by Carlos Delpin »

Jim, they do. Just had a Lytton 87 the other day that was sublime. I also like Turley with 8 - 10 years average bottle age.
stefan

Post by stefan »

"Better" is maybe not the right term. The fruit recedes, but the complexity increases dramatically with age. I love old Ridge blended Zins and also the young ones. They serve completely different purposes. The young ones are great with BBQ and heavy tomato based pasta dishes. The older ones you can use almost like an old Bordeaux.

Jim, you should buy a sealed mixed case of the 2014s and lock them away for 10+ years to see how they develop.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I'm hearing good things about the recently released 2015 Geyserville and am keeping a lookout for it.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I also prefer my Ridge on the younger side. But as 2013 was so bad in Bordeaux, I'm looking at alternative wines from the 2013 vintage (Béatrice birthyear) to keep. I thought the 2013 Geyserville would be fine.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes the Geyserville that Patrick brought was nice, I think it was a 2002. It was certainly not over the hill, it was certainly a different animal than the younger Geyservilles. I'm just not sure it was BETTER than these delicious, youthful animals with their ripe, rich, up-front fruit.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nicklasss wrote:I also prefer my Ridge on the younger side. But as 2013 was so bad in Bordeaux, I'm looking at alternative wines from the 2013 vintage (Béatrice birthyear) to keep. I thought the 2013 Geyserville would be fine.

Nic
I laid down some 2013 Ridge Monte Bello for my son's birthyear. I have nearly a case of the 2013 Geyserville too, but I'll be surprised if it lasts until he's old enough to appreciate it. *the 2013 Geyserville was probably my favorite young vintage of this wine-- in the past I found fhe Geezer integrates with a few years in bottle, but the '13 was wonderful right out of the blocks.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I generally prefers Zins in their youth. Drank a lot of them while waiting for my early-80s Bordeaux to mature.

Sure Geyserville ages and gains some nuance and complexity but like Jim I'm not sure I like it better that way. And it may somewhat resemble but doesn't really turn into Bordeaux or aged Cab as some have said. I once had a 20-some-year-old Lytton Springs (from the original Lytton Springs Wwinery, pre-Ridge LS) many years ago that was wonderfully complex, and a few 1990 Ridge Lytton Springs that came close, but I think they were the exceptions to the rule.

Monte Bello, on the other hand, is a waste to drink young.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Recently drank a 2001 Lytton Springs that i purchased on release and it was still primary in many ways. The fruit certainly was still there and other than being less racy than i remember it 5 and 10 years ago, it will continue to drink well over what i'd think another 10 years.

Ridges age well and i would quite frankly drink one every few years to experience their development over time. They work well exceptionally well with grilled meats and stand up to just about any food in a graceful way. An American wine.

In better years, 2013, 2014 and 2015 i generally do buy a case and store them as they are quite useful for bbq's, summer grilling events and pool parties.