TN: 03 Haut Marbuzet [St Estephe]

AKR

TN: 03 Haut Marbuzet [St Estephe]

Post by AKR »

03 Haut Marbuzet [St Estephe] From a small clutch purchased EP. 13.5% abv. Over two nights. This is a lovely St Estephe this year, somewhat atypical. Its fat, fleshy, round, rich. I am surprised how well it drinks on the second day - improving nicely. The nose has hazelnuts, coffee on it. It's very easy to drink by itself, but is big enough for a chewy carne aside. This estate usually costs as much as some cru classe but in the hot years it's worth picking up. I have liked the 2003 much more than comparable vintages around that time like 1995 or 2000. I'm not sure what the other vintage comparables are to the freakish 2003's, but the next time that happens, I'll be looking to pick up some of this estate. An A- effort. The 2003 St Estephe's have been so tasty through their entire life that I've consumed most of mine by now, maybe a few are left, compared to the other years that have not been as friendly at all points in their life.
AKR

Re: TN: 03 Haut Marbuzet [St Estephe]

Post by AKR »

My last bottle of the 2003 purchased EP...and starting to fade so drink up
My last bottle of the 2003 purchased EP...and starting to fade so drink up
I pulled my last 2003 Haut Marbuzet [St Estephe] and had a couple glasses before/with supper. For my tastes, this is tipping downhill now but it has lasted longer than the vintage, and the estate's reputation, suggested it would. The color is garnet, with some orange at the edges. Uncorked, and poured through a Vinturri to help it breathe, and still showing the coffee notes mentioned previously, but also now celery/rhubarb herbal secondary flavors. 2022 might be a year to buy this wine, but distribution has historically been tricky since the Duboscq's sell directly to their own European clients outside La Place, although Millesima has some way of getting the wine to most US states, if they buy a case, which is more enthusiasm than I have. Today, I would rate this a B; it was better younger.